Thursday, December 29, 2022

The First Christmas Memory by Caroline Clemmons

What’s the first Christmas you remember? Mine is when I was three. We lived in Southern California, where—for some reason—the Christmas Eve family gathering was held at our house instead of at the home of my older half-sister, Elsie Reed. As soon as it was dark, my brother-in-law, Buster Reed (one of my all-time favorite relatives), said he had to go to the airport to pick up Santa, who had agreed to come early as a favor to Buster. I was so impressed that Buster knew Santa so well.

Buster returned with Santa, who came in the door laden with gifts and pushing a baby buggy for me. In the buggy was a life-size baby doll. Can you imagine how excited I was? Of course Santa knew my name and those of the other children in the room. We have an odd range of a blended family, so my niece Linda is only three years younger than me, and was six months at the time. I remember her sitting on the floor and staring at Santa with wide eyes. I’m certain mine were just as wide.



After Santa had handed out gifts to all the children present, he told Buster he’d have to get on his way or he’d be late getting back to the North Pole, where his elves were loading his sleigh. Years later, when other kids told me there was no Santa, I argued that there was because I’d seen him and my brother-in-law knew him personally.

Years later, I learned the real details. My sewing whiz half-sister, Clarice Camille (Linda’s mom), had created a realistic costume that was used many years. That year, Buster’s older brother, Roy, played Santa. After Roy retired from the job, my half-brother, Herschel Johnson, took the job. This tradition continued many years. I’m happy to say, my eldest daughter got to accept a doll from Santa when she was a year old.

I love holiday traditions. Our family numbers have dwindled now, but we still hold on to some traditions.

What are some beloved traditions in your family?


Thank you for having me here at Window Over The Sink.

Hello, I’m Caroline Clemmons. My Hero and I live in North Central Texas cowboy country where we ride herd on two rescued indoor cats: elderly and extremely clever Sebastian and lovely and shy Jasmine. Our rescued dog is an energetic young labradoodle named Baxter, that would play fetch all day if he could find a sucker someone to toss one of his toys. I write primarily romance but also an occasional cozy mystery. Most of my over 80 titles are from sweet to sensual historical westerns, but I also write contemporary and time travels. My cozy mysteries are contemporary. Most of my romances have mystery and/or adventure in them. I’m fortunate enough to write full-time in a tiny office my family refers to as my cave. Hero and I have two grown daughters who are, of course, perfect. When I’m not writing, I enjoy spending time with my family, reading my friends’ and others’ books, dining out, browsing antique malls, shopping online, dabbling with oil paints, researching genealogy, and taking the occasional nap.

You can find me at these links:

Website https://www.carolineclemmons.com

Newsletter https://carolineclemmons.us5.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=0a24664c906875718d975ad7b&id=7c2e488a51 Subscribe for a free historical novella about a humorous, disastrous wedding, HAPPY IS THE BRIDE.

Facebook https://www.facebook.com/CarolineClemmonsRomances

~*~
About Jesse and the Mail Order Bride 

Sheriff Jesse Cameron is dedicated to uphold the law of his adopted country. After leaving Scotland, he came to Texas, and learned he liked the place and the people—at least, most of them. He keeps Harrigan County free of troublemakers with his “strict but fair” policy. Now that he has a steady job and has bought a house, he figures it’s time to find a wife and start a family. He and his best friend write to the same matchmaker, hoping their brides will be sisters or friends. Jesse hopes his wife will provide a peaceful home and welcome him each evening with a good meal and a warm smile.

Growing up in an orphanage left Rosalin Arnold too naïve to avoid being trapped in the clutches of an evil man who has her picking pockets. Those who’ve tried to escape him always fail, and are severely punished—or killed. Rosalin has been plotting to get away, and seizes her chance to escape. She takes her best friend with her, and also a boy of eight. All she and her friends want is a home where they can live honestly without constant fear. She prays she has successfully evaded the man who has tentacles everywhere.

What will happen when her lawman husband learns the truth about her criminal past? Have she and her friends escaped successfully?

You can learn the answers by reading the JESSE AND THE MAIL ORDER BRIDE at Amazon in e-book, print, and Free at Kindle Unlimited.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BD64JC1D?ref_=pe_3052080_276849420



7 comments:

  1. Santa made an appearance at a family gathering when I was a teenager. The younger kids couldn’t believe their eyes! I remember my gift-a leather feather choker. Surely I’ve dated myself! What a wonderful story you shared. Thanks for bringing back memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a very traumatic experience when you find out there's not really a Santa Clause. I'll never forget when my older cousin told me, laughing, like I was some idiot child thinking there was. I cried and cried and thought I wouldn't get anymore presents! I was only 5.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a delightful story, Caroline, and wow, an early memory! Happy holidays to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful memory and tradition for your family. thanks for sharing it, Caroline. Jesse sounds like a delightful book. I'm looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful memory and tradition!
    Thanks for sharing.
    Good luck and God's blessings for a Happy, Peaceful & Prosperous 2023!
    PamT

    ReplyDelete
  6. We traditionally took pictures of the kids before they came down the steps on Christmas morning. We would have made little, individual Jesus birthday cakes (that were a cinnamon coffeecake) and we'd eat those and sing "Happy Birthday." Christmas Eve we read "The Night Before Christmas" and Christmas morning the Nativity story before saying a prayer and heading downstairs. I love your story! As grownups we try everything possible to make Christmas magic for children, don't we? Thanks for sharing your story, and may you have a very blessed 2023!

    ReplyDelete