Sunday, December 25, 2022

Fullness by Liz Flaherty

I've so loved having guests every day through this season, and I'm grateful you've made them welcome. Isn't it fun reading their stories and connecting them to your own? I've been been both surprised and gratified by the reception the Window Holidays Project received. 

I've had this particular post started for days now. There is, if I'm honest about it, a bittersweetness to our Christmases anymore. Although I celebrate the birth of Jesus, and that hasn't changed--although my gratitude has grown, which is a good thing--I miss the way Christmas Days were when our kids were little. I miss the family members who aren't with us anymore. 

I miss fullness.

It's been a rough several years for most of us, hasn't it? We've dealt with Covid, with political unrest, with finding and learning to live with new normals. This is my first Christmas without the sister who was part of every day of my life until the one in April when she left us. Her daughters and grandchildren are finding their way without her. So are my brother and I and the astonishing number of people whose lives she touched. 

And there it is. Not the fact that she's gone, but the lives she touched while she was here. Loss is excruciating--a family at church and another family whose lives have touched ours are suffering that during these already emotion-packed days of the Christmas season. But before we lose, we have. Time may not heal wounds, because the scars are way too deep for that, but it gentles them. It gives us joy in memories. Laughter. Oh, yes, laughter. 

And there the fullness is. This post has been sort of...out there, hasn't it? But there's no more emotional time than this one. All of those who are dealing with loss, loneliness, or dark times, I wish you comfort and that joy and laughter will find you amid the grief. I wish you fullness. 

I'll be back a week from Saturday. Until then, enjoy the guests who will be at the Window every day through New Year's Eve. Thank you on their behalf for your support of them and of the Window Over the Sink. 

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Be blessed. And be nice to somebody. 




12 comments:

  1. Beautiful and insightful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas, my dear friend. Yes, time does gentle our pain, and we remember the joyful times instead of the sadness of loss. Thank you for your lovely words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas, Liz

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss those things too, Liz.
    Beautiful post!
    Merry Christmas!
    PamT

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so understand what you're talking about, Liz. I lost my brother, my only sibling, in October and the pain is still raw. My daughter took an old photograph of me and my brother at Christmas many years ago and had it blown up and framed. I was maybe six and he was twelve in the picture. The picture brought me to tears, which I didn't expect at Christmas. I tear up thinking about it now. But I'll cherish that photo always.

    I hope you had a happy, full Christmas, Liz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely thing for your daughter to do. It was a hard holiday but a good one. Thanks for coming by, Jana.

      Delete
  6. You make a great point--we have to have to lose, and we must be grateful for that. Those special people in our lives that we've lost--for me, my dad--we are blessed by the time we did have with them. Our lives were enriched, made full, as you said, and we can look at the hole left when they passed, or look at the blessings that were given to us and that remain.

    I've been thinking a lot this season about those who are alone at this time of year. Christmas must emphasize their isolation and be an extremely difficult time for them. It's not a holly, jolly time for everyone. May God bless those people and may those more fortunate reach out and include them in their celebrations.

    I've loved this feature! Thanks for putting it together, Liz! I hope 2023 dawns bright and splendid for you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you, Mary. I have loved the "Project" and the memories and viewpoints it's opened up.

      Delete