Thursday, December 22, 2022

New Christmas Traditions by Jana Richards

All my childhood Christmas memories center around food and family. My parents both came from large families, most of whom lived on farms or small towns close to us. Between Christmas Eve and New Year's day, we feasted at a different relative’s house every day. On Christmas Eve, after the children’s Christmas concert at the church, we ate at my maternal grandparents’ house. My grandmother wasn’t happy until we’d stuffed ourselves so full we could barely walk. I looked forward to strudel at Granny’s house every Christmas Eve. On Christmas day, we had another huge meal with my paternal grandmother and my Dad’s family. At least fifteen of us, probably more, crowded around my grandmother’s extended table and enjoyed the large turkey she always made. Once dinner was over, dishes were cleared away and card games played. How we didn’t immediately fall asleep after all the turkey we’d consumed, I have no idea.

When it was my family’s turn to host dinner, my mother roasted a goose. Goose wasn’t my favorite but Mom and Dad loved it, so we had it every year. My mother had been baking for weeks and had cookies, tarts and pies ready to be served. One of my favorite things she made at Christmas was steamed carrot pudding with sauce. I don’t know if she put any rum or brandy in the sauce, but it was delicious. For some reason, I’ve never made it myself, even though I enjoyed it so much as a child.

When I got older and had kids of my own, we lived some distance away from our parents, so every Christmas we bundled up the kids, packed presents and baked goods into the car, and drove to visit my husband’s parents on Christmas day, and then my parents on boxing day (December 26). I remember some very cold, and sometimes some very dicey winter driving conditions, but we always made the trip. Once we got there, we had lots of fun and plenty to eat. My kids and our nieces and nephews were young so there was always a lot of excitement about Santa’s visit and the gifts he’d bring. I was mostly excited about the food, like my mother-in-law’s perogies and my mother’s cabbage rolls. I used to grumble about those long, cold drives, but now that our parents are gone, I dearly miss those holidays.

My husband and I are now the oldest members of the family. Our first grandchild, a girl, Aubrey Catherine, was born in November, and we have new traditions to look forward to. We’ll have a baby to spoil and buy presents for and make Christmas goodies for. What I’ve missed most of all since my daughters were young was not having little kids around. Their excitement is what makes the holiday so much fun for all of us. With any luck, my daughter and son-in-law will fill their house with children and make me a grandmother many times over!

I have wonderful Christmas memories from days gone by, but as much as I cherish past Christmas celebrations, I can’t wait for these new traditions to begin with our precious new family member. I hope that when my granddaughter is grown, she’ll look back at Christmases spent with us and remember them with as much fondness as I remember Christmases with my grandparents.
Jana Richards has tried her hand at many writing projects over the years, from magazine articles and short stories to full-length contemporary romance, paranormal suspense and romantic comedy. She loves to create characters with a sense of humor, but also a serious side. She believes there’s nothing more interesting then peeling back the layers of a character to see what makes them tick.

When not writing up a storm or dealing with dust bunnies, Jana can be found pursuing hobbies such as golf (which she plays very badly) or reading (which she does much better).

Jana lives in Western Canada with her husband Warren and two senior cats named Layla and Leelou. You can reach her through her website at http://www.janarichards.com

17 comments:

  1. Thanks for coming today, Jana, and for sharing Aubrey's picture. I envision many happy Nana moments this year. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for having me, Liz. Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  2. Oh, Jana--lovely memories, and yes, now we are the oldsters in the family. I've loved having Grandboy in my life and I know how much joy you will have with Aubrey. Enjoy! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a kid I never believed that I would one day be the oldest in the family. It's funny how life changes. I'm very much looking forward to making memories with my granddaughter.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations! Christmas will be so exciting for you again. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your new grandbaby, Jana! Even though they are ALL special, there's nothing like that first one. Merry Christmas!
    PamT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pamela. It's hard to say whether we'll have more grandchildren. I hope so, but if not, I'm very happy with the sweet little granddaughter we have.

      Delete
  5. Jana your Christmas's sound a lot like mine - large family gatherings with more food than anyone could consume in a week! Being with my grandparents, cousins, aunts and uncles are the memories I cherish. Now the celebration is held at my own home with my three children, five grandchildren, and my dear mom. Sometimes an aunt and cousin will join us. I don't make as much food and insist on a pitch in, so I don't have to work so hard - guess I'm a little bit lazier Nana than mine were! Congrats on Aubrey and Merry Christmas to you and your family. Thanks for sharing today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Debra Jo. I don't do near the work at Christmas as my grandmothers and mother and mother-in-law did. We have smaller meals for fewer people and I don't do near the baking. I remember my mother working for weeks making fruitcake and carrot pudding and I don't know how many kinds of cookies. Now everyone's on a diet, so they don't want as many sweets!

      Delete
  6. What beautiful memories, Jana. Our family holidays featured lots of food and visits, too, although my folks' families weren't very large. Congratulations on your new granddaughter!! She's adorable. I like the name Aubrey. She's destined to be the apple of your eye :) Merry Chrismas!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Barbara! We teased our daughter and son-in-law about whether they could select a name before she went to kindergarten because they are notorious about taking forever to make a decision. But this time they fooled us with a beautiful name at the ready!

      Delete
  7. We are between babies here, too. I love to see my daughter and granddaughter, but there is something special at Christmas with little ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is definitely something special about having little ones around at Christmas!

      Delete
  8. I loved reading about your Christmas memories. May you make many more with little Aubrey. The happiest times are when babies join the family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm enjoying having her around very much!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for sharing your Christmas traditions with us! I, too, am looking forward to the birth of a grandchild. Granddaughter, actually. It's so exciting! I've never heard of carrot pudding. I'm intrigued!

    ReplyDelete