Saturday, December 10, 2022

My Christmas Treasure by Vicki Batman

My family lived in typical suburbia with a great neighbor next door. After Thanksgiving, Mom gathered her ingredients, decamped to Mrs. Owen's house, and made divinity. Mom brought home tins filled with goodies in pale pastel shades.

One year, Mrs. Owen brought Mom a Christmas gift. Nestled inside the box sat a Styrofoam angel. She was approximately eight inches tall with curls of silvery white hair. Sequins fashioned her eyes, nose, and mouth. She was so pretty, and I fell in love.

For a long time, Mom put the angel on the tip top of our Christmas tree. One day, Mom received a different angel topper, storing away the "littlest angel." I asked for her, but Mom wasn't ready to let go of the gift from her good friend. I understood.

I became determined to find an angel of my own. I searched many flea markets and antique malls for one; however, I didn't find it. But I hoped I would.

And then…

I frequented my favorite antique market not far from my home. This time, as I made my way up an aisle, I looked ahead to the end of the row and saw a woman pull a box from under a table. I watched her remove several things. My heart caught when I saw her look at something resembling my "littlest angel." In my head, I said, "Put her back. Put her back." God listened to me as the woman replaced the item in the box and walked away.

Casually, I walked toward the last table in the row. I bent to examine the box under the table, and—oh, golly--there was my angel. After searching for many years, I finally found one--a little tatty. I didn't care. I knew I could replace the doll's hair and her missing sequins. I paid fifty cents for my treasure and cradled her in my arms for the trip home.

Happiness abounded. 

After Mom passed, my sisters and I came together to take care of the house. We went through every nook and cranny. Finally, one of us opened a box, and in it sat the littlest angel, the gift from Mrs. Owen. Now, I owned two!

Writers find inspiration in many places, and this time, all came together in a holiday story, "The Littlest Angel," where two people are looking for the same ornament. It's one of three short stories in Sommerville holidays.


 
Hopes and wishes and holiday kisses...Sommerville holidays.

Holiday Disaster: Days before Christmas, a librarian experiences plumbing issues and visits from Mr. Maintenance Man, who isn't nearly as jolly as Santa Claus.

The Littlest Angel: Two people. One ornament for the tree. Can a twosome find common ground and discover the true meaning of Christmas?

Holiday Handbag Extravaganza: Christmas Countdown is on! A hunk-a-licious customer pesters a boutique owner to locate a vintage handbag for his mother. Too bad the wedge between them is his sister, the meanest girl in town.

Find Sommerville holidays at:

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Z45SGC5

Smashwords: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/1132189/

Author bio: Vicki Batman's stories are full of fun, romance, and possibilities which will delight all readers. She has sold many award-winning and bestselling romantic comedy works to magazines and most recently, three humorous romantic mysteries. An avid Jazzerciser. Handbag lover. Mahjong player. Yoga practitioner. Movie fan. Book devourer. Cat fancier. Best Mom ever. And adores Handsome Hubby.


Find Vicki Batman at:

Website and Newsletter: http://vickibatman.blogspot.com/p/more-about-me.html/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Vicki-Batman-sassy-writer-of-sexy-and-funny-fiction-133506590074451/

Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/vickibatman/

Author Central: https://www.amazon.com/author/vickibatman/

Bookbub: https://www.bookbub.com/profile/vicki-batman/

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/vickilbatman/?hl=en








12 comments:

  1. Thanks for joining us today, Vicki! I loved the angel story. We need them, don't we?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing, Vicki! Enjoy your holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome. And the same to you.

      Delete
  3. What a terrific end to your quest. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The elation I felt when I saw the woman removing things from the box, then setting it aside...Wow! vb

      Delete
  4. Thank you. This story inspired "The Littlest Angel."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aren't those little treasures the best?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, what a sweet story. Congratulations on your new book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Gail. I love writing short stories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely story. Best of luck with your book.

    ReplyDelete