Friday, December 9, 2022

Christmas Memories by Debby Myers

Here we are. One more month in the year. Another year gone by. We all say it. Time goes by too quickly. December is a special time. The month of the birth of Jesus. Christmas. A time that we all look forward to for different reasons. Being 59, of course, I’ve seen that many Christmases. Why is it that some stand out over the others?

My first Christmas memory dates back to when I was five years old, waiting patiently at Grandma Gigi’s house for one of my aunts to start handing out presents. Gigi loved to cook, so every Christmas morning she got up before dawn and prepared a feast. At least it looked like one to a little girl. All the comfort foods were there – the best fried chicken I’ve ever had, noodles, mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans seasoned with bacon, buttered fresh corn cut off the cob, homemade biscuits with her special jam. And for dessert, her own cobbler and coconut cake. Gigi wouldn’t let us open presents until we stuffed ourselves first. That’s my first memory.

When I was around seven, my Grandma Betty let us come over to hang big shiny red balls on her Christmas tree. It wasn’t a traditional tree. The branches were silver tinsel. After the red balls were hung, she turned on the rotating light that shined a rainbow of different colors on the tree making it the most beautiful Christmas tree I believed I had ever seen.

Then there was the year I remember crying and crying because there was no snow for Christmas. Since there was no snow, I was convinced that Santa wouldn’t come. Mom struggled to make ends meet. I wanted a suede bomber jacket like my close friends had. I wanted it so much, but I knew mom couldn’t afford a coat that cost $100. (I thought that was a lot). Instead of asking for it, I asked for something else, and now I don’t even remember what that was. But guess what? Mom knew how much I wanted that coat. When I opened my gift on Christmas Eve with all of my family on my mom’s side there, I got my suede coat! I screamed. I hugged and kissed mom. I put it on and wore it the entire evening. I remember thinking she must have sacrificed something to get it for me. And I can’t remember ever being happier about a Christmas gift - even now.

Of course, there are many more Christmases that come to mind.

The year I was heartbroken because my older cousin revealed there was no Santa Clause.

The next memory of a Christmas holiday that stands out was when I was in seventh grade. My parents had divorced, and we moved into a trailer next to Hillcrest Lanes (remember the fun we all had there back then).

The year I went to my first candlelight service at church with a friend in high school. I was in awe of the love that touched me and made me a believer in the true meaning of the holiday.

The year I had moved to Texas with my ex, who had joined the army. I didn’t know anyone yet. I couldn’t afford to buy my own daughter Christmas gifts and a neighbor that I barely knew handed me (yes, gave it me) money and took me shopping for her.

The year I bought my oldest granddaughter a red velvet dress with white fur. She was only a year old, but she twirled around and around saying she was ‘soooo pitty’. She was the life of the party.

The year that I finally got to see my dad just before Christmas. He was in prison for habitual DUI arrests, and it had been nearly ten years that he’d been gone. He met my two daughters, his granddaughters, that day for the very first time. That Christmas will remain in my heart as one of my best, since he passed away suddenly one month later. 

We all know I could go on. There are even some years of my life I don’t remember Christmas at all. I hope hearing my memories will bring out many of your own. Be sure to share them with your grandkids.

"May your days be merry and bright and may all your Christmases be white."


Debby Myers has enjoyed writing since she was a little girl. She has just completed her third novel, the last installment of “The Vee Trilogy.”

In her spare time she directs plays for Ole Olsen Memorial Theater. She is a member of the Indiana Thespians judging high school theater competitions. Debby’s favorite pastime of all is spending time with her five grandchildren.

Her books are all available now on Amazon or get a signed copy directly from her by contacting her on her Facebook page “The Vee Trilogy.” 



7 comments:

  1. Thanks for coming today, Debby. This project has given readers so much to enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU Liz for having me! I've really enjoyed reading all of these!

      Delete
  2. Lovely memories. Enjoy the holiday and good luck with your books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Suzanne! It's fun to remember. It's memories that always flood back this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are wonderful memories, Barbara! Now that my trilogy is finished, writing a play for community theater is my next project!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing your memories with us! Makes me want to warm up some cider. I think I will!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Warm cider is a staple for Christmastime! Thanks for reading and enjoy!

      Delete