Friday, December 23, 2022

Fairy Tale Favorites by Darlene DeLuca

For our December meeting, my book club always has a special holiday edition. We call it the Salmon Feast, and we celebrate all the winter holidays, our friendship, and our bond in books. We add a fun gift exchange, complete with the opportunity to “steal” gifts. Sometimes I enjoy that aspect of the gift giving. Other years, not so much! And we often do something a little different than our usual someone-pick-a-book.

This year, we’ve decided to discuss fairy tales. Our assignment is to re-read our favorite fairy tale from childhood and compare how we see it/feel about it now that we’re, um, well into adulthood. :-)

At first, I kind of rolled my eyes, not excited about the idea of spending my time reading a fairy tale at this extra-busy time of year. I still have some gifts to wrap, cookies to frost and, of course, several more trips to the grocery store! I don’t mind re-reading books occasionally. In fact, I have several books I enjoy re-reading, but those are my all-time faves. I’ve also been known to re-read some childhood books, Trixie Belden and Laura Ingalls Wilder books included. I still have my complete set of Laura Ingalls Wilder books. That collection goes down as my best childhood Christmas present ever!

Being the good sport, I started thinking about which fairy tale is my favorite. Honestly, I don’t remember reading any when I was a kid. But I know all the stories, so obviously I read them or watched the movie/TV versions.

I do remember being outraged at the meanness of the queen in "Snow White," the threatening deceitfulness of the wolf in "Little Red Riding Hood," and the jealousy of the stepmother and stepsisters in "Cinderella." I think of all of them, "Cinderella" is my favorite. I love that she got her magical night out. Not so much concerned about getting the prince, but happy that in the end good triumphed, and the evil stepmother and stepsisters got their comeuppance!

Turns out today my reaction is the same. Whether I’m reading fairy tales or contemporary novels, I like good to triumph over evil. I want the nice guys to finish first. I want good deeds to be rewarded. And I like happy, hopeful endings. Those, by the way, are also what I write. My books are by no means fairy tales. The characters face real-life dilemmas. They deal with loss and heartache and disappointment. There are no princes or royal kingdoms or glass slippers. But in each one, there’s growth, second chances, friendship, and love.

One of the things I realized while contemplating their significance is that most of the fairy tales I like are love stories: Cinderella, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Rapunzel. These stories show that love conquers jealousy, greed, and hate. Love redeems. Love changes lives. And that seems like a great conversation for the holiday season. I’m looking forward to my book club discussion—and contributing my two cents’ worth—after all! Happy holidays to each of you!

I’d love to know: what’s your favorite fairy tale or childhood Christmas gift?

Speaking of love stories, my newest novel, Christmas at Tall Pines, is a sweet holiday romance set in a cozy lodge tucked into the snowy mountains of Utah. It’s a quest for holiday magic.

-- Melanie Beck is searching for an idyllic Christmas like the ones her small family used to have. Traveling solo and still grieving the loss of her parents, she’s counting on cozy Tall Pines Lodge tucked into the mountains of Utah to provide the elusive holiday feels with merry music, stunning decorations and traditional Christmas feast in a beautiful frosty setting.

But a blizzard turns the winter wonderland into a hazard, and a chance encounter with a now-famous high school crush has her reeling with emotions she’s never quite gotten over.

Tyler Shaw, a Hollywood heartthrob and silver screen star, is so over a grueling film schedule and persistent paparazzi. In disguise and using a fake name, he comes to Tall Pines to escape the spotlight and get some much-needed rest. He’s hoping the adrenaline rush of downhill skiing at the nearby slopes will give him the reboot he’s looking for.

Instead, he’s stuck at the lodge and is shocked to run into an old high school friend that he left behind more than a decade ago. He’s even more surprised to discover how much he’s missed her.

As their past and present collide, can an old flame ignite some Christmas magic?—

Buy links:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BK1TP381/

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/1174660

https://books.apple.com/us/book/christmas-at-tall-pines/id6443949366

https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/christmas-at-tall-pines

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/christmas-at-tall-pines-darlene-deluca/1142549099?ean=2940165952432


Darlene Deluca writes contemporary romance and women’s fiction that explores relationships – what brings people together or keeps them apart.

Her intent is to bring to life interesting characters that readers can relate to in real-life situations that combine a little fun, plenty of drama (with perhaps a tear or two), and big helpings of friendship, love and self-discovery, and will leave readers either cheering or sighing with a satisfied smile as they turn the final page.

The Kansas City author enjoys getting lost in a good story with a glass of tea, a bit of dark chocolate and a warm, sunny beach.

To learn more about Darlene and her books, visit her website at https://darlenedeluca.com/ or find her on social media at:

15 comments:

  1. Books were always my favorite Christmas gift--still are. Happy holidays, Darlene!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy holidays to you, Nan! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for coming to the Window today, Darlene. I still have a huge soft spot for the Little House books (and their author) and books have always been a favorite gift.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never thought about how fairy tales might relate to my contemporary romance books. What a great book club idea too. Maybe I’ll run the idea by mine. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Suzanne! Cheers to your book club!

      Delete
  4. Love it! Wishing you a holiday season of triumphant love!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was teaching 4th grade in the early 1980's, and asked for a set of the Little House books for Christmas - with plans to read them to my class, a chapter a day. I did get them. My mother told me that when she wen shopping for them, the clerk asked her how old her child was, and she replied, "She's 35!" I still have that set, and I'm 73 now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cinderella was one of my favorite stories, too.
    Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy holidays to you, Ellen! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. I love that you brought up the Laura Ingalls Wilder stories -- I still have my set of the books, too! I think about Aesop's Fables when people constantly misuse the term "sour grapes" LOL and I think, "Have they ever even read The Fox and the Grapes?" Those little stories and their "lessons" are timeless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny, I actually did a search to distinguish between fables and fairy tales. Lots of little lessons to be found in books!

      Delete
  8. Definitely worth an occasional re-read! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My favorite gift was similar--four Nancy Drew books! One would have thrilled me, four made it the best Christmas ever. I was blown away. I still remember how that felt. Your book sounds excellent! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us!

    ReplyDelete