Wednesday, December 13, 2023

Recalling History Gives Meaning to Today by Jan Scarbrough

When I decided to write my Christmas novella, A Groovy Christmas, I revisited the year 1968. I’m telling my age when I reveal that this was the year I graduated from high school. It was a big year for me, of course. My parents and I hosted an exchange student from Chile. I was a member of the Student Council in charge of assemblies. I took my first journalism class, where the teacher told me that one day I would “remove my rose colored glasses.” My band traveled to Washington, D.C., to march in the Cherry Blossom Festival which was canceled because of the assassination of Rev. Martin Luther King. I participated in a six weeks English literature study program in Nottingham, England. Oh, yes, and then I went to college that fall and met the man who I would marry a few years later.

Big year, for me. But a big year for the country. Until I researched 1968 for the novella, I didn’t remember all the horrible events of that year, much as we’ve experienced lately in a new century with 9/11, long wars, economic crisis and inflation, COVID shutdown and open borders. Remembering 1968 brought me added perspective to what we face today.

Times have been tough for all of us whenever we’ve lived. I think of my parents and World War II, their parents making ends meet with large families during The Depression. Even back to my Civil War ancestors who fought for the Union Army, and those ancestors who were patriots in the Revolutionary War. They all saw tough times.

And somehow survived.

In A Groovy Christmas, my hero and heroine, like millions of others, pause on Christmas Eve to watch the Apollo 8 astronauts.

The three astronauts, who were orbiting the moon, took turns reading the first ten verses of Genesis. Then Frank Borman said, “And from the crew of Apollo 8, we close with good night, good luck, a Merry Christmas, and God bless all of you—all of you on the good Earth.”

“That was from Genesis,” Kate murmured, her voice hushed and awed. “We are so blessed.”

Grant nodded, still absorbing all that he had seen and heard. The universe was so vast. In the context of space, the Vietnam War and his family feud with the Fields seemed petty and senseless. His heart warmed with a profound sense of wonder. It was almost as if he needed this broadcast to cheer him up after a year fraught with death and disillusionment.


Like my characters, we lose perspective amidst our busy daily activities. In 1968, we faced the assassinations of Martin Luther King, Jr., and Robert Kennedy, who was running for president; Vietnam War’s Tet Offensive, and the social unrest over the Vietnam War, values, and race; riots in Chicago and Washington, DC., and other major cities; during the 1968 Summer Olympics in Mexico City, two black athletes staged a silent demonstration against racial discrimination in the United States.

Today we live through a scary world, just as our forefathers did. What we need is our faith in God and the belief that, though times are tough, we will eventually prevail. 

The author of two popular Bluegrass romance series, Jan Scarbrough writes heartwarming contemporary stories about home and family, single moms, and children. Living in the horse country of Kentucky makes it easy for Jan to add small town, Southern charm to her books and the excitement of a Bluegrass horse race or a competitive horse show.

The Ghost Mountain Ranch series is a contemporary western series with a good blend of mystery and happily-ever-after romance. The Dawsons of Montana is another four-book contemporary western series.

Jan leaves her contemporary voice behind with two paranormal gothic romances, Timeless and Tangled Memories, a Romance Writers of America (RWA) Golden Heart finalist. Her historical romance, My Lord Raven, is a medieval story of honor and betrayal.

A member of Novelist, Inc., Jan self-publishes her books with her husband’s help.

Jan lives in Louisville, Kentucky, with one rescued dog, two rescued cats, and a husband she rescued twenty-three years ago.

Website: www.janscarbrough.com

Jan Scarbrough







4 comments:

  1. Thanks for being here today, Jan. I appreciated those memories--and share some of them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing. History can teach us so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jan, I always enjoy your posts. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete