Tuesday, December 5, 2023

Changing Traditions Bonnie Edwards

While we think that Christmas is full of traditions that never change, over the course of a lifetime, change is inevitable. Life is like that…the only constant in life is change.

When I was a child, Christmas meant a large family dinner that my mother slaved over. My older sisters helped with setting the table and clean up. My Dad and brothers were exempt from kitchen duty. (big surprise, right?)

Eventually, my much older siblings had other places to be on Christmas Day because they’d married and had their own households and in-laws who wanted to see them.

When grandchildren appeared, my mother gave up cooking a feast and my parents and I travelled from house to house watching littles open our gifts. Those were lovely Christmas Days, full of smiles and cheer and less work for my mom. Dad did the driving.

I got my license at 18 and drove us around Toronto on one of the coldest Christmas Days on record. It was bitter, the kind of dry cold that sucked the heat out of our very lungs. That year, my Nan was with us. I recall a white out on the way home. For those of you from warmer climes, that’s a term for when wind whips snow across the road. White outs are sudden, and vision is totally obscured by blowing snow. My Dad, calm as can be, coached me through it while I white-knuckled the steering wheel. I remember thinking of my little Nan and how I couldn’t let anything happen to her.

Eventually, I married and had children of my own and my parents included my home and children in their Christmas Day rounds. I missed seeing my siblings, but as we know, little children prefer being at home with their new toys and games. Also, I had a feast to prepare. Luckily, my husband helped with everything!

And now, we have grandchildren ourselves and two of them have helped us decorate for the season for about five years. Soon, though, they’ll be called away for other pursuits and decorating will be more chore than joy without them.

Life changes. Christmas Day changes. But love of family remains years after they’re gone. They live on in our holiday memories and maybe, we hold them more dear because of the very changes we see.

One change that comes with time is the escape from winter that so many people enjoy.

Beaches! Sunshine! Sandals and drinks by the pool! Ah, yes, that’s a change I embrace. And to prove it, I’ve got a brand-new romance out now set in the lovely small island town of Last Chance Beach.


Here’s a little information on Make Me A Last Chance Beach Romance…

The worst thing that could happen to a man who doesn’t want children is to inherit two little boys.

The next worst thing would be to have a nanny with a child of her own.

Archie Jones, a wealthy playboy who’s never stayed more than two weeks in any one place finds himself saddled with an old friend’s four- and six-year-old boys.

When his brother suggests desperate Archie hire his wife’s sister, Archie can’t say no.

Equally desperate Beth Matthews is appalled that a man who can’t remember her name, or show up for family events, is now responsible for the lives of two adorable orphans. When he proposes she join him in a co-parenting partnership, she’s torn between her dislike of the man and the obvious needs of the children. Not to mention she’s a broke single mom with an explosive secret.

In this forced proximity, enemies-to-lovers romance set in the charming beach town of Last Chance Beach, Archie and Beth must find a way to compromise, live together, and always put the needs of their children first.

Archie soon learns he’s underestimated mousy Beth while she finds new appreciation for the footloose man who does all he can to build a loving family despite his many failings.

But when Archie suddenly abandons them, will Beth have faith in the changes she’s seen in him, or will she believe he’s returned to his wandering ways?

In Last Chance Beach love always finds a way.

Amazon (December 5)

Other major retailers (December 9)


Bonnie Edwards
has been writing all her life, starting with a poem about Santa suffering with gout. She was seven, Santa was a thousandteen years old. Delighted with writing, she went on to write family sagas, humorous contemporary romance, romantic suspense, erotic paranormal ghost romances and more.

Published by Kensington Books, Harlequin Books, Carina Press, and Robinson (UK) Bonnie’s stories stretch from short stories to novellas and novels. Now, she’s happy to be publishing her work herself.

With 40+ titles to her credit, she has been translated into several languages and sold books worldwide. Learn about more exciting releases and get a free romance by subscribing to her newsletter, Bonnie’s Newsy Bits

Cheers and happy reading!

Follow her online:  Amazon     Website     BookBub     Twitter     Facebook    Instagram 


5 comments:

  1. Thanks for coming today, Bonnie! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for having me Liz! Happy Christmas wishes to you and yours!

      Delete
  2. I love Christmas traditions, too, Bonnie, and yours sound wonderful and warm. My grandchildren always helped put up and decorate the tree, but now that they're all grown, my tree has shrunk considerably as have my decorating efforts! Wishing you all luck with "Make Me."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expect to see the same change in the coming years, Barbara. Where would we be without our memories to keep us warm? Have a wonderful holiday season!

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing my thoughts about Christmas traditions, Liz! I have to say that my younger grandson walked in to help me this year and announced how much he loved helping! We put on "our" music and enjoyed each other's company. Fabulous day!

    ReplyDelete