Wednesday, December 6, 2023

O Christmas Tree, O Christmas Tree by Tanya Agler


Have you ever watched A Charlie Brown Christmas? Do you remember the scene where Charlie Brown and Linus arrive at the Christmas tree lot and are greeted with the sight of many types of trees from aluminum to real? Charlie Brown is perplexed until he finds the one: the tree that needs him.

Over fifty years later and Christmas trees still come in all shapes and sizes. My grandparents had an artificial tree, which I remember decorating with garland and lots of tinsel. My parents also favored an artificial tree, but they didn’t add garland or tinsel. One year, my mom worked for someone who owned a Christmas tree lot, and one of my first jobs was helping at that lot. My husband’s parents didn’t just have one artificial tree; they had several, one for their garden room and another for their living room.

I love the smell of a real Fraser fir, and I favor a real tree for the holidays. Since we’ve been married, my husband and I have visited different places to find our tree: tree farms, makeshift lots, and home improvement stores. These days, we make an evening out of decorating the tree. Before dinner, my husband, our twins, and I venture forth until we find the tree that fills our house with a fresh pine scent and provides us with many evenings of enjoyment.

After dinner, the fun begins. Prior to this day, we will already have decided whether to use twinkling colorful lights or strands of steady white lights. My husband misses bubble lights, those strands from his childhood that resembles a glass candle with bubbling liquid inside. He will put on the lights while I turn on holiday music, most often the soundtrack from A Charlie Brown Christmas or nostalgic favorites like Bing Crosby or Frank Sinatra. Then I make hot chocolate (whipped cream for me, marshmallows for the twins), and we open the ornament boxes.

Since we’ve been married, my husband and I have accumulated quite a collection of ornaments. Whenever we are on vacation, we try to purchase a special reminder of that trip. As we decorate the tree, I stop to ponder memories from each ornament. A college friend of mine gave me a rocking horse ornament with my name on it, and I always think of her. There’s the UGA Arch, that reminds me of my college days at the University of Georgia. There are metal figurines representing the Lincoln Memorial, the Gateway Arch, and more. We have Santas on speedboats, moose with ornaments stretched across their antlers, and lighthouses with the name of the beach on the base. I’m a huge fan of classic movies, and we have several It’s a Wonderful Life ornaments, including a bell with the inscription, “Every time a bell rings, an angel gets its wings” and one with “George Lassoes the Moon.”

Then there are the ornaments that our children have made. So many have their school pictures or handprints. As much as the twins beg for me to get rid of some of them, I don’t. Instead, those are carefully placed near the top so they don’t break.

My husband has some special ornaments handed down from his great-aunt, and I have an ornament made by my great-aunt.

By the time the last ornament is hung, the twins are usually back in their rooms, but my husband and I are okay with that. Our beagle Linus jumps on the couch, and we turn off the lamps, letting the glow of the Christmas lights shine brightly and the first whiff of the pine fill the air. We soak in the sight of past memories and anticipate new memories that this season will bring.

May this holiday season bring you happiness and joy.

Do you have an artificial or real Christmas tree? And what’s your favorite ornament? Please leave a comment!

Merry Christmas and happy holidays!                         

Will a surprising reunion…

Warm their hearts?


National Rodeo Champion Ty Darling is stunned when he runs into his ex, Sabrina MacGrath, in Violet Ridge, especially when he learns she’s pregnant—with his baby! Now this commitment-wary rodeo cowboy has twelve days of Christmas to prove he’s ready for a second chance at love. But being stranded together during a winter storm might just show them both the difference between being parents…and being a family.



An award-winning author, Tanya makes her home in Georgia with her wonderful husband, their four children, and a lovable rescue beagle named Linus. She is the author of eight Harlequin Heartwarming romance novels, including the October 2023 release, Snowbound with the Rodeo Star. Look for Her Temporary Cowboy, coming in April 2024. When she’s not writing, Tanya loves classic movies, chocolate, and a good cup of tea.

Website: www.tanyaagler.com

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AuthorTanyaAgler/

Instagram: www.instagram.com/tanyaaglerauthor

Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/tanyaagler

Threads: https://www.threads.net/@tanyaaglerauthor 


Tanya Agler




6 comments:

  1. Thanks for being here today, Tanya. I love your post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for having me, Liz! We have a real tree again this year, and my older daughter has named it Charlie.

      Delete
    2. I LOVE that your daughter named your tree Charlie!

      Delete
  2. Tanya, I fought for years NOT to have an artificial tree, but we bought one a few years ago, and I have to admit that I love its ease of setup. No one gets poked by trying to string lights! Thanks for your memories, and I Iove that your rescue is named Linus. Wasn't Charles Schulz the best? (I also like that your daughter named your tree Charlie.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Roseann! Yes, I agree that Charles Schulz was the best! I love Peanuts, and we've already watched It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown and A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving this year. I'm looking forward to seeing A Charlie Brown Christmas as I love that special! And Linus came to live with us in October of 2020 and the rescue organization gifted him a blue blanket so that's why he's Linus!

      Delete
  3. When the kids were young and still at home, we had a real tree just to let them go through the fun of picking it out. We've had the same ornaments for many, many years. Most are handmade by my two grandmothers or ones the kids made. We have a few glass ones, but no tinsel or garland. And always the same angel on top. But now that I'm older I have a small 3' artificial tree. I let one of more of my grands come over to decorate it. A few of our very old ornaments are beginning to show their age, but as long as I can, I will put them around the top of the tree. There's even one I made, myself, in 1st grade. Christmas trees are Christmas memories!

    ReplyDelete