Monday, December 4, 2023

Memory with a Scent by Darlene Fredette

Christmas is my favourite holiday. I love the decorations, the Christmas music, the holiday spirit of love and kindness. During the holidays we tend to reflect on happy memories, the ones that bring a smile to your face or a tear to your eye. 

Some of my fondest Christmas memories are of my father. I remember dancing to Christmas music with him and he’d hold onto my hands while my feet were on top of his. My father played guitar and I can see him playing and singing Christmas songs. He wasn’t a fan of shopping, so I’d join him to go Christmas shopping for my mother. We’d have so much fun, especially in the underwear department. He’d take out of his pocket the list my mother gave him, read off the sizes, and then ask me to pick out underwear and a bra, lol. Then we’d go home and wrap her presents.

While all those memories make me smile, there’s one in particular I recall the most and it’s triggered by a scent. We have a fir tree in our yard. It’s a little sparse on branches because bugs try to attack it in the spring, but we keep saving it. There are only a few times of the year when its scent of evergreen is very strong. When I walk by and smell the evergreen, it takes me back to when my father and I would get our Christmas tree. Early on, we’d go to the woods and cut one, but years later we’d go to a tree lot. We examined several trees until we found just the right one. Holding my dad’s hand and walking around the tree lot with the scent of evergreen filling the air is a memory near and dear to my heart, and one our fir tree reminds me of every now and then.

Darlene Fredette is an artist and author who loves to bring designs and stories to life. She has always been an artist at heart since she could hold a crayon in her hand and grew up with her nose in a book and daydreaming. She loves to draw, paint, and create beautiful, layered designs in digital illustrations. She is also the author of eleven published contemporary novels. When she’s not creating a new art piece or writing, she’s with her husband, daughter, and two dogs.

Artist: http://www.darlenefredette.com/

Author: https://darlenefredette.blogspot.com/

Blog: https://findingthewritewords.blogspot.com/

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/darlenefredette1/

Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/darlenefredettedesigns

http://www.darlenefredette.com/p/greeting-card-subscription-box.html


6 comments:

  1. Thanks for coming to the Window today, Darlene! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Liz for letting me share my Christmas memories. Merry Christmas to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful memory, Darlene. Thanks so much for sharing! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary for stopping by. Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  4. OK, you had me tearing up (happy tears) on this memory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Roseann, thank you for enjoying my memories. Happy Holidays!

      Delete