Saturday, November 26, 2022

Christmas Cookie Day by Tanya Agler


Merry Christmas! Thank you so much to Liz Flaherty for hosting me today on “Window Over the Sink,” especially since the posts in the next few weeks are all devoted to one of my favorite holidays: Christmas!

A long time ago, although in many ways it seems like yesterday, I attended the University of Georgia. One Sunday night, I debated whether to keep studying for a test the next day or go to a Christmas party. My four children are very glad I decided I was ready for the test and went to the party. When I arrived, the host brought everyone together in the living room for a Christmas Carol sing-along. There was one seat remaining, and I asked the guy who was sitting beside the empty chair if he was saving it for anyone. He wasn’t, and we started talking, through the sing-along, through refreshments, and until the party ended.

Soon thereafter, we discovered our homes away from the college dorms were only ten miles apart. Over the Christmas break, he called and asked me on a date. When he arrived at my house, he was taken by surprise as both my parents and grandparents, who’d come to visit for Christmas, barraged him with a series of questions. Since I was ready, I whisked him away to his car, and we talked through dinner.

Then it was my turn to meet his parents and siblings, and it was my turn to be amazed. Every room in his house was decorated for Christmas. Even the bathrooms had holiday hand towels and matching soap dishes along with snowmen figurines. I’d never seen so many decorations in one place. That day, his mother graciously asked if I would like to come to Cookie Day. While I didn’t know at the time it would be the first of many, I was thrilled at the kind offer and jumped at the chance.


Early one December Saturday morning, I arrived at their house, thinking it would be a half-hour of fun and then Jamie and I would have the rest of the day to go Christmas shopping or do some other holiday activity before he went to work that night at his part-time job. I walked in and found different stations: one person rolled out the dough, another cut the shapes selecting from a huge assortment of cookie cutters, another swapped out baked cookies hot from the oven for a fresh sheet, and the rest decorated cookies, cool enough to frost, with icing and a variety of sprinkles, red-hot candies, and colored sugar. The night before, his mother had mixed four batches of dough and refrigerated them.

After a lunch break, we all finished icing the last batch of cookies. Jamie’s mother kept calling out, “Make some nice ones for the neighbors.” In addition to the sugar cut-out cookies, the day before, she had made wedding cookies, peppermint bark, spritz cookies, and banana bread. The day after Cookie Day, she assembled packages of cookies and delivered them to neighbors, friends, co-workers, and anyone who needed a care package.

Rather than spending half an hour at his parents’ house, it was the whole day, and I left with a basket of cookies to take home to my parents and grandparents.

Over the years, I’ve become known as “the closer.” When everyone else is tired of decorating the cookies, I’m the one who finishes icing the remainder. We’ve branched out and added Grinches and Leg Lamps (my husband’s family loves A Christmas Story while I gravitate to It’s a Wonderful Life and Christmas in Connecticut) to the selection of stars, bells, and holly wreaths.

This year, we’re celebrating a new twist to our annual Cookie Day. My husband has invited his co-workers over, as many of them have never baked Christmas cookies before. We’re having a big party and then we’ll send them away with baskets of cookies and hopefully some fun memories.


So, from that party where I sat next to someone I didn’t know came an introduction to something new that ended up forming one of my holiday traditions. My four children love Cookie Day, and that’s one of their favorite days of the year. Let me know whether you are baking any cookies or pies for Christmas.

And my holiday wish for you is that I hope this Christmas you make a new friend or deliver a homemade treat to an old friend.

Merry Christmas!



An award-winning author, Tanya Agler makes her home in Georgia with her wonderful husband, their four children, and a lovable rescue beagle. She has written six novels for Harlequin Heartwarming with her seventh, Caught by the Cowgirl, coming in April of 2023. Her novella, Christmas Cookie Crossing, is featured in this year’s Christmas Town Bake-Off, an anthology of Christmas novellas written by seven Harlequin Heartwarming authors. When she’s not writing, Tanya loves classic movies, chocolate, and a good cup of tea. You can find her on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/AuthorTanyaAgler or on Goodreads at https://www.goodreads.com/tanyaagler.

A Christmas bargain…Becomes a promise of more.

Former pro soccer player and single mom Becks Porter finally owns her own soccer complex. But her Christmas dream becomes a blazing nightmare when the building literally goes up in flames—injuring her ex, firefighter Carlos Ramirez. Now Becks and Carlos must choose between old grudges and helping each other out. Sparks have a way of rekindling…but can two people start over without getting burned?



14 comments:

  1. Tanya, what a fun Christmas memory and now a tradition! Grandboy and Husband make cookies every year. Merry Christmas and don't you just love a good fireman Christmas story? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and Tanya have something to talk about there, don't you, Nan? :-)

      Delete
    2. Hi, Nan. This is Tanya Agler. Yes, Cookie Day has provided lots of memories! I think it's a wonderful way to bring different generations together, and I hope your grandson and husband bake some wonderful cookies this year!

      Delete
  2. Tanya, thanks for coming! I love me some Christmas cookies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for having me today!

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh, I love this! What a great story and Christmas tradition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jennifer! Thank you so much for dropping by! Happy holidays!

      Delete
  4. I, too, thoroughly enjoyed reading this! I'm assuming you married that stranger who sat next to you at the party! Merry Christmas and happy cookie day this year -

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I did marry the man I sat next to at the Christmas party! We now have four children who all count Cookie Day as one of their favorite days of the year!

      Delete
  5. Making Christmas cookies with kids or grandkids is always so much fun! These look delicious. Good luck and God's blessings. PamT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We still use my mother-in-law's recipe as the cookies are delicious. Thank you and Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  6. What a lovely tradition. We used to make baskets for about a dozen or more friends, but now we make only a few. The Christmas season is my favorite time of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's something about Christmas that does make it an extra special time of the year! Merry Christmas, Caroline!

      Delete
  7. What a lovely story! I'm making cookies and was looking through recipes earlier and haven't gotten back to it yet! Happy holidays to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete