Saturday, March 19, 2022

"The tongue has no bones..." by Liz Flaherty

"The tongue has no bones, but is strong enough to break a heart. So be careful with your words." -Unknown

I have a fondness for words, which probably isn't much of a surprise to anyone. I have, in recent years, come to flinch from the cruelty of some of them. I learned to love being called a snowflake because before it became a universally loved and accepted pejorative term, it meant something beautiful that brought joy. 

I've learned not to resent stupid as much as I used to because I know I'm not. Calling  me that is likely to make me beam and say bless your heart and think of how...er...stupid you sound using words willy-nilly for the simple purpose of hurting someone. I figured this out just recently, when I was called stupid because of my opinion and decried for using good grammar by the same person in the same conversation. 

I was stung a few weeks ago when I read in more than one place that lives and opinions of the elderly had no relevancy. Not only because it shocks me every time I re-realize I am one of the elderly, but because I don't understand why anyone would say such a thing about someone else.


This morning on Facebook--yeah, I know, how did I ever write before Facebook?--I read this, written by Martha Floyd and used with permission. 

Only nine signatures. Today it took only nine signatures to sign my mom up for hospice, but those signatures felt like nine million. Those nine signatures were some of the hardest ones I’ve made. Those nine signatures said No more doctor visits, no more tests, no more needle sticks and no more working toward a goal to get better. Today we ordered the meds to “keep my momma comfortable.” Today the big truck pulled up and dropped off the needed furniture and oxygen. Tomorrow my beautiful momma turns 83. But today I signed her up for hospice. Tomorrow will be a special day just for my momma. But tomorrow will be another day wishing I never had to write those nine signatures. Tomorrow will be a birthday celebration filled with joy, laughter, family, friends…and tears. Please keep my family in your thoughts and prayers as we begin this journey together.
I've read those words several times since the first time. I swiped them from social media and sent Martha a message asking if I could use them. She responded in time for me to add them. I imagine she's busy. It's her mom's birthday. Her heart is breaking. I've been there, haven't you?--in that aching, shattered place where loss resides. 

Two families (that I know of) in the community have suffered double bereavements lately, leaving mourners' lives with huge empty spaces. I can't pretend to know how they feel because even in the broken place I just mentioned, grief is far too personal to claim someone else's as your own. But I am so sorry for their losses. For the silences and the emotional bruises that have to heal in their own time if they heal at all.

I started this talking about words. They are to me what music is to some people and art is to others. I've complained--again--about their cruelty when they're used only for the purpose of hurt. I've shared someone else's with admiration for Martha's eloquence. And, like every time I've ever visited a funeral home, I realize that I really don't know what to say. 

Which makes it all the more important that what I say doesn't hurt anyone. No, let me fix that, because the truth is we all say and do things that hurt other people. So maybe what's important is that we don't cause harm and hurt purposefully. Maybe it's recognizing that the old Love Story saying of "Love means never having to say you're sorry" is likely just so much BS. Maybe it's nothing more than remembering that you can't unsay things. 

Have a good week. Be a friend. Be nice to somebody.

10 comments:

  1. Lovely words, my friend. And yeah...that old line from Love Story is indeed just so much BS because to me love means always being ready to say you're sorry whenever you need to. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. I always hated that it became so popular, even though I did love the movie...

      Delete
  2. Yesterday at our monthly book club lunch meeting, a friend I've known for 35 years told us her cancer has spread and the doctor has told her there is nothing more he can do. I was stunned for what that means to her and her family, as well as what it means for her friends. The doctor told her he didn't know how many days the had left, that it could be five days, five months, or five years. The only thing I could say was that none of us know how many days we have left, tell her I love her, and that she is a wonderful person. As I hugged her, she clung to me and I thought the hug was more important than any words I could say. Being an adult is hard at times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is, isn't it? I'm glad you got the hug opportunity, though--I imagine it soothed you both.

      Delete
  3. What a lovely post, Liz. Kindness with words seems to be rare these days. And our elderly (which I'm a part of) are not treated with the respect warranted. I learned my lesson about "older" people when I worked at a Savings and Loan in my early 20's. The town happened to be filled with retired customers. I learned a great deal from these individuals. They reminded me of books, filled with many interesting chapters.

    When I first saw the movie, Love Story as a young teen, I became confused over the saying, "Love means never having to say you're sorry..." What?! I didn't agree back then and I certainly don't agree now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think when I first saw the movie, I bought right into it--I thought Ali McGraw was gorgeous and Ryan Oneal was...gorgeous, too. But it didn't take long for that part of the story to lose its charm.

      Delete
  4. I've always loved words, too. Thank you for this beautiful essay.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Words are powerful. They can be magical and beautiful. They can be ugly and harmful. And, you're right, sometimes they come up against something more powerful and they fail to be adequate at all. And as far as love meaning never having to say you're sorry? Sorry is often the most loving response there is. It means putting someone else's pain ahead of your pride, and sacrificing yourself for the good of others is the greatest love of all, isn't it? I appreciate your thoughtful take on this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary. Sometimes it's a mistake to say "sorry" just for the sake of peace, but more often, I think peace is impossible without someone being sorry.

      Delete