Wednesday, March 23, 2022

Candy Cigarettes, Bun Candy Bars, and Other Memories by Joe De Rozier

After my wife and I enjoyed a nice meal at The Twenty Restaurant in Wabash, we decided to walk around the Charley Creek Inn, in which this dining area is located.

We ended up strolling through their candy shop that contains about every confectionery delicacy you can imagine. 

When we were there a few weeks ago, I picked up Candy Cigarettes.   I had no idea they existed, anymore! I had no intention of eating them because, honestly, I think they taste like chalky antacids. I got them for the sheer nostalgia.

Luckily, I hid two of them from my wife because she scarfed down an entire box before we left the city limits.

Today as we walked through, I spotted something out of the corner of my eye.

It couldn't be... I hadn't seen this candy bar for the longest time.  I went back, and even though the packaging seemed different, it was definitely what I thought it was...a Bun Candy Bar.

Suddenly, in my mind I saw my dad walking in our family home with dust in his hair, paint on his shoes, a smile on his face, and Aqua Velva wafting in the air... I hadn't seen this candy bar for the longest time.  I went back and it was definitely what I thought it was...a Bun Candy Bar.

  When I was young, my parents didn't have much.  Mom and Dad paid all of their bills, we were clean, and we were always fed and clothed.  We weren't poor...there just wasn't much left..

A couple times a month, Dad would bring home with him a Bun Candy Bar. We'd be ecstatic. He would say the whole bar was too much for him to eat and Mom would always say she wasn't hungry, so he had to split it with us. Dad would open the wrapper and break the bar in four pieces, being very careful to make them perfectly equal.

This was the highlight of our week!

It isn't until you're an adult that you realize the sacrifices your parents made...

I'm sure Dad would have loved to have the whole bar, and I'm equally as sure that Mom was indeed hungry.

So, with some mist in my eyes, I bought three of those candy bars...

One is for me to remember Mom and Dad's love for us.

The other two I'll send to Mom.

She can finally enjoy one to eat, and maybe just hang on to the other one to remember Dad...remember Dad coming home with dust in his hair, paint on his boots, a smile on his face, and Aqua Velva wafting in the air...


Find dusty baker Joe on Amazon or stop in and visit him on Broadway in Peru, Indiana. I guarantee you'll enjoy the visit. - Liz

4 comments:

  1. Aw, Joe, what sweet memories (literally!). My grandma always had butter rum Lifesavers...whenever I smell that particular scent, it reminds me of my grandmother's purse. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember those! I would recognize that wrapper even now!

      Delete
  2. We all have those memories of old candies - that candy shop is awesome! If you haven't been there, make a trip - it will be worth it! My grammy always had candy stripe gum for us when we visited. Mom occasionally bought me and my brother a box of candy cigarettes - only because my Dad smoked and we were intrigued by him doing it. She would give them to us and tell us to never smoke - unfortunately we both did

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember Bun bars. I didn't like the maple flavor but the vanilla? was good. As for sharing, my husband said his dad would buy 1 bottle of pop and share it w/ his 5 sons. They each got a gulp after baling hay all day. The good old days.

    ReplyDelete