Saturday, March 26, 2022

Musings... by Liz Flaherty


Happy birthday to Grandma Neterer, born this day in 1888. While I wasn't a fan of childhood, I remain eternally grateful for the part she and Grandpa played in it. I still feel all mushy when I think of the house on Roys Avenue in Elkhart.  

When they moved there, I think the house was still in the country. Their lot was a large one, and they had sheds and a chicken house in the back. In the side yard was a well with a hand pump where my siblings and I went when we wanted a drink because we couldn't abide the taste of city water. 

Grandpa always went barefoot outside, weather permitting. When he broke his hip, the doctors told him he couldn't do that anymore. I think that bothered him more than the hip.

I so wish I'd asked them more questions, hadn't gotten so busy being a grownup that I forgot about being a grandkid. 

Happy birthday, Grandma.

~*~

Musings...

I ordered a new weed whacker last week. It came, its box crunched up and taped together. Now it's snowing. Makes me think I jumped the gun when I ordered. By the time stuff grows enough for me to whack it, I'll definitely be out of the mood.

I'm on Ancestry.com this morning, My friend Nan referred to it as going down the rabbit hole. Hmm... I'll see you in a few weeks...

The problem with cleaning off countertops is that you don't remember what you did with the stuff you had lying there. And you know the other part--as soon as you put it away, you need it.

Do you watch Call the Midwife? It's my favorite show since The West Wing, but I gotta tell you, being in labor with all those new mothers is exhausting--Duane and I breathe and push right along with them. And all those babies are so cute! None of them look very squashed or anything.


In my next book in the Second Chances series, the hero is a pastor named Jake McAlister. I couldn't see him in my mind's eye, but then I saw Jack Ashton playing Tom Hereward and there was Jake. Jake's about 20 years older than Ashton, but I didn't have any trouble seeing him anyway
When I walked outside this morning and the wind gave its best effort to blowing me off the porch, it felt exactly like November wind. I am grateful and relieved that it's not November, and history tells me the wind will eventually stop blowing--at least for a while. 

Wishing you a great week. Laugh hard and often. Be nice to somebody. 




No comments:

Post a Comment