Monday, January 1, 2024

The Christmas Bears by Sherri Easley

It was the first Christmas after losing my son, and I was struggling to find joy in anything, much less Christmas. I had not put up my tree and there was no trace of any holiday cheer.

My daughter saw a post on a social media Mom’s page, asking if anyone had experience in repairing memory bears. Not for the first time, my daughter volunteered me. I am beyond blessed and sometimes frustrated that she seems to believe I can fix or make anything when it comes to sewing.

I got the woman’s information, and we chatted a bit by text. Her grown son was off to college and was struggling with being away in his new environment. The only thing he asked for that Christmas was for his childhood bears, “Bear” and “Other Bear” be repaired.


When the woman delivered the bears and all I could do was bite my lip and think to myself, this would require a miracle. She handed me two ragged brown, near faceless bundles and explained to me how she held one of them while she was in labor with her now grown son and that her son loved the bear so much; they had to find another one because the first one was showing wear.

She asked how much I would charge, and I told her I wasn’t sure if I could do anything and that there would be no cost. I have always felt like when you are blessed with a skill or gift, you should pay it forward as much as possible and this was the perfect opportunity.

 I looked up the well-loved bears to see how they looked like in their less loved days and found, to my shock, that they were originally white. Picking one up, I inspected it closer, wondering what I had gotten myself into and how I would return them to their actual youth. Doing what I always do when in doubt- I jumped in and started working.

I made a bath of warm soapy water with a little oxy clean and let them swim for a while. That did little, so I sprayed them with an oxygen based cleaner and a miracle occurred. I rinsed them well and put them between a towel and squeezed out the water and let them dry.

I used a wire dog brush and gently brushed them out. They really had fur, after all, at least a little. I had to be careful, because they were pretty fragile. Then, I fattened them up with fluff and restitched the many holes and sewed their heads back on.

I used oil-based paint pens to paint the eyes and even add that special white dot for the gleam. It was the nose, though, that brought the bears to life and gave them back their personalities.  

As a side note, I sent a photo to my daughter as I was repairing them, and she asked if I had changed out the fabric on them.

The last time I saw the bears, they were neatly tucked in a box awaiting pickup. I thought nothing more about them until Christmas eve when I got an emotional video of the young man opening his gift and his sweet and sentimental reaction at the realization it was Bear and Other Bear.

… and just like that – the joy and spirit of Christmas found me once more.

Sherri Easley was born and raised on a farm in rural east Texas, surrounded by good country folks and lots of great cooking. Growing up with an idyllic childhood in a small community provided her with lots of tales and characters for the stories she writes. When she is not creating Strategy at her corporate day job, you will find her snuggled up with her three dogs and two cats, writing stories from the heart. You can reach Sherri at 
sherrieasleyauthor@gmail.com

Amazon:  https://tinyurl.com/3sk8a2rs

Goodreads: https://tinyurl.com/5n7vb2mf

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for being here today, Sherri, and for sharing this story. It was a great New Year starter for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful story. Thanks so much for sharing it, Sherri.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing this sweet story and these photos. I loved following their progress from worn bears to shiny, happy bears. And I can't stop sniffling as I read again how thankful that college boy was -- and, I'm sure, his mother. And thanks to your daughter for "volunteering" you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful story! I'm so sorry you lost your son, but how special it was for you to share your love with someone else's son. That's a Christmas he'll never forget. And what an awesome transformation they went through!

    ReplyDelete