Saturday, January 20, 2024

Songs of Winter by Liz Flaherty

Friday morning early: It's snowing. My cottonwood is wearing white on her broad and aging shoulders. There is a stillness that only snowfall brings--and then only when the wind isn't buffeting things around. 

I remember snow days when I was in school. My dad was never home, because he worked on the highway department, which lent a different kind of freedom to the days. If the snow was deep, which it often was, my brothers built tunnels. We slid down the hill behind the barn. On wood-cutting days, we slid down the bigger hills where my uncle lived, coming to a crashing stop in a gully at the bottom of the hill. I learned to use a two-person saw with my brother. I didn't get good at it, but I could do it. (Same thing happened with cooking--go figure.)

I read a lot in the mornings, especially when my own writing voice is still croaky and stubborn, and this morning I read Amy Abbott's essay about musical theater. It made me think of songs I've heard sung on stages, plays and concerts I've been privileged to see. 

Music's always been part of our lives, from when I first saw my husband in a band while I was still in high school (he didn't see me --that came later) to watching the Three Old Guys at Legend's on Wednesday night. The kids were in choir and swing choir--our daughter still sings on her church's praise team. The grandkids were in band--the youngest one still is.

It's basketball season, complete with snow and school being called off late this morning. I thought of all the games I'd been to. When our school played in the semi-state my senior year, when we watched our oldest play, and later a grandboy or two. It's funny how your own gym always feels the same, regardless of the changes that have been wrought there, the adulthoods reached for. The tassels turned on mortarboards.  


On my phone this morning was a picture of our youngest standing behind Eamon, his and Laura's youngest, helping him with his tie. That's been a while, Jock texted when I sent him the picture, and I thought of how long ago it was Duane helping him and Chris with double Windsor knots. 

Oh, the memories. 

I titled this Songs of Winter, because the snowy stillness of morning is one of the times so many things seem clear. Even though one of the worst parts of aging is what happens to your memory, when even the reason you went into the kitchen totally escapes you, you still recall how things made you feel. 

Wishing you a week of feeling good things, making memories, and being nice to somebody.

For the time being, Window Over the Sink and Window Over the Desk are both 99 cents for ebooks. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BGJS174L 



17 comments:

  1. Nice memories on an icy Saturday morning...thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely blog--thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great memories Liz🥰🥰

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brenda Engel TrexlerJanuary 20, 2024 at 10:19 AM

    Your memories stirred up memories for me. How I miss those days. I wish I could share them as eloquently as you. Thanks for what you do, Liz!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thanks, Brenda. The memories are so important to us now, aren't they?

      Delete
  5. I really enjoy these snapshots. I can't begin to imagine looking out my kitchen window and seeing snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't get nearly what we used to, and it makes it troublesome getting around, but I still love all the seasons.

      Delete
  6. Thinks go full circle. As a kid you got off from school on a snow day. As a retiree you get to look out and smile at the beauty of a snow day delighted you don't have to go out in it! Thanks for the songs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. It IS a full circle, but the arcs in circles are so smooth! They're seldom that way in the circle of life, are they?

      Delete
  7. In the end, it doesn't really matter if you don't remember why you went into the kitchen when you've been blessed with the ability to still remember those tying-the-tie moments. At least, that's what I tell myself ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we should run with that, too! Thanks, Roseann.

      Delete
  8. Lovely as usual! I am always struck by the silence of snow too. In the winter we usually have our shades pulled to keep out the chill. So when you look out and the landscape you saw the day before has been noiselessly covered in white, while you were feet away, it always catches me by surprise, even when we're expecting snow. Then it's nice to step outside and listen to the world muffled while big flakes fall and stick to your hair. It fills me with awe. Love the description of your childhood because we can all relate to it on some level. I miss those mornings listening to the radio for the school closings and holding your breath before letting out a whoop of excitement. My kids' school had an automated phone call from the superintendent, Gary Somebody. They always loved it when "Gar-Bear" called!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary. I love that particular silence. I remember it even from when I was a kid. Snow days were blessings for some of us, but I don't think my mom was especially thrilled. :-)

      Delete