Saturday, January 13, 2024

Baby Jesus, Respect, and Never All by Liz Flaherty

Baby Jesus was found. I saw it on Facebook, and an ache I didn't even realize I had was relieved. 

It wasn't a real baby, of course, but a statue taken from the downtown nativity scene. There've been TV shows about lost and stolen Baby Jesus figures. They're usually found, as the one in Peru was. Sometimes they're damaged. They're always treated disrespectfully. The pain of that disrespect is very real. 

Even if I were not a Christian, even if the nativity scene wasn't something so important to me, I wouldn't understand why someone would want to defile it. The same with a menorah. The same with a crescent and star. They are symbols of belief systems that are important to the ones whose faiths they represent. 

I am not in anyway trying to say all Christians, Jewish people, or Muslims (or any other religions) are good people. I'm not trying to say some of their "rule books" don't have parts that make me cringe. I'm not comfortable with some of the modes of dress, with any culture that considers any of its members lesser, with men wearing hats in church. (You already knew how old I am--now you really know.)

But then, I don't like a ton of tattoos, a ton of piercings, or personal body parts being uncovered in public. I don't like the f-word used just to use it--especially by people who can't differentiate between they're, their, and there. I don't like when people straddle two parking spots, take up residence in the left lane, or don't use turn signals. I have no respect for any one who puts their trash into the recycle receptacles or litters. 

I hate ear gauges. 

Wow, that is a bunch of dislike, isn't it? 

But you know what? It's okay to dislike things others do, to not agree with or even respect their beliefs. It's just fine to be uncomfortable with cultural things that make you flinch or usage of the language that makes your ears curl inward so you can't hear it. It's okay to not know where to look when there's more ink on a person's skin than it takes to print a book or if they have huge holes where you have ear lobes. It's definitely not a mark against you to get mad at drivers who give idiocy a bad name. 

But it's not okay to act on it, to in any way damage or even talk about all purveyors, wearers, or drivers as bad people. You don't know that. You don't even come close to knowing it. 

As a Democrat in Indiana, I understand more than I want to about disdain. But I don't know what it's like to be black where most people aren't, what it's like to be part of the LGBTQ+ community where most people aren't. However, I know the word all gets used way too often. While I'm fairly certain all of those people, Democrats included, aren't good ones, I can guarantee they're not all bad, either.

Something else I know is that much of the criteria we use for judging others is flawed. Seriously flawed.

So, there you go. My time on the soapbox has expired. I wrote this from a perspective of sour grapes, of having my feelings hurt by someone I've known my entire life. It's something that happens more and more these days, isn't it?

Maybe we can try to do it less often. Maybe we can remember before we say or do something hurtful that what means nothing to us means the world to them. In a lesser way, from pure thoughtlessness and often misplaced righteousness, we might be stealing their Baby Jesus. All we have to do to give Him back is say Hello. Have a great day. Smile. And go on.

Have a good week. Be nice to somebody.







17 comments:

  1. Yes, it's always baffling to me when people can choose to be kind and they're cruel instead. Or choose to what's right, but choose the wrong way. Especially in situations where it would take so little effort to be kind and do the right thing; or in situations where they go out of their way to be cruel to someone. If you have the choice, and we all have the choice, why not make the right one? Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us, Liz, and getting us to think. I'm sorry you were hurt by a friend; that's the worst.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was startling, and it wasn't even aimed at me personally, but I was definitely in the way of it. Thanks, Mary.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks, Cathy. At least I hope that's a good thing. Sometimes, for a person who'd have given so much to be popular when I was in school, I tend to make myself UNpopular now. :-)

      Delete
    2. Definitely meant as a good thing! Every bit of it needs to be said and heard, often!

      Delete
  3. A post to make people think, for sure, Liz. And that's a good thing! Cheers for being brave! Barb.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Charley checking in. Awesome post! You always write as if you know your opinion is important to someone, but you let them choose without putting the ones who don’t agree with you in the same category. Thank you, Liz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Charley. I think everyone's opinion is important, but if voicing it requires hurting others...maybe not so much. We need to co-exist, and the best way to do that is respectfully. (There's that opinion again! Lol.)

      Delete
  5. Similar to your post's meaning, you degraded those who "can't differentiate between they're, their & there." So, a little friendly education for you: one's intelligence is not determined by one's ability to spell. In fact, there is a reading disability called Dyslexia that makes it very difficult to spell or remember the difference between similar words, such as their & there. To some readers, myself included, this comes across as albeist & that isn't a good look for anyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. I'm sorry to have offended you.

      Delete
  6. Rebound hurt is the worst because it wasn't aimed at you but you learned something disturbing about the person who said it. I'm pretty certain lots of innocently observed things offend someone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, and I've had to accept that sometimes I'm the offender, as was shown above, but so much of it isn't innocent at all; it's not caring who's hurt. That's hard.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for your insights. Words and actions matter. I think I can safely use ALL in the statement that we've all been either the offended or the offender at one time or another, so choosing kindness and , as you say, not acting on those dislikes, is a helpful way to live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Roseann. Choosing kindness takes us a long way, doesn't it?

      Delete