Monday, November 27, 2023

Grandma's Slippers by Cathy Shouse

During the holidays when I think about gift-giving, I remember Grandma’s slippers. Grandma lived past 101. Until her last few years, she gave all the women and girls in the family hand knitted or crocheted slippers at Christmas every year.

Having such a long life, I was in awe of her anyway. But as I grew up, I continued to be inspired by how productive she was. One of my aunts has been posting Grandma’s diary entries on Facebook for our family. We are all amazed at what Grandma accomplished in her daily activities. She’d write down when she baked cookies, quilted, and all kinds of activities.

You might think receiving the gift of handmade slippers every year would get old. And the way our current culture seems to thrive on the stimulation of new, fancier things, is something I’ll save for a post for another day. But my experience of getting the slippers never wore thin. I would open mine with anticipation, wondering what colors my slippers would be made of that year. If memory serves me correctly, they came in a shoebox. At least once, Grandma tucked in a pamphlet on positive thinking or a little calendar with faith messages, and her beliefs have stayed with me as well.

I think the reason the slippers were always welcome is partly because those gifts were made with so much love. I liked to think she thought about each one of us as she created them. Just the quantity alone that she produced amazed me. Those slippers were like getting a hug wrapped up in a Christmas gift. And I wore them all the time.

Just thinking of Grandma’s twinkling eyes and sweet smile as we opened our presents is such a strong memory that my eyes cloud over a bit with tears. She looked like a Mrs. Santa Claus, only tiny and more fragile as the years went on. I’m reminded that the wonderful people in our lives, both in the present and in the past, are the true gifts at Christmas.

What is also sweet to me today is that I’m close to all of my cousins. They received those slippers as gifts, too. I’d estimate at one time, 14 females in the family received them each year. While preparing this essay, I reached out to my cousins by email and asked if those slippers were special to them as well.

Judy said, “I have no slippers left but great memories of wearing them to shreds, then trying to darn them! O, Grandma’s treasures!”

Several sent photos of their slippers and so did my sister and my aunt. It was as though we all had a moment to cherish what was and what we had, so very long ago.

Grandma’s been gone since 1999. As I think of what gifts I’m giving this year, I wonder how I could put more of myself into them, not just go to the store or get online. I’m thinking of maybe doing some writings of memories my kids may want to read from me some day.

No matter what we’re giving this year, maybe the way we live our lives is also a gift to others. I know that was the case with Grandma. Her lifestyle gave me something to aspire to. She did a lot more than needlework, too. She went to Hawaii when she was 80! Maybe I’ll even get there one day.

What is a memorable gift you’ve received? Why was it special? 

 Cathy Shouse
He’s an international journalist back home because of his father’s will. She’s returned home to run her family’s struggling history museum. When Gage and Bree cross paths at the small-town diner, he’s struck by her son’s resemblance to him.

Gage Galloway never fit in with the farm community he grew up in or his brothers who all wanted families. When he returns home to Fair Creek, he’s already itching to get back to his thrilling career.

Single mom Bree Murphy is back in Fair Creek to save her family’s history museum. After having her baby five years ago, she was forced to give up on reaching the baby’s dad to tell him.

Gage and Bree were best friends and his secret crush on her made for unexpected circumstances when they said goodbye years ago.

So when Gage strolls in unannounced and runs into Bree and her son, she’s scrambling for what to say to explain things.

Before she does, her former best friend studies Trey and asks, “Why didn’t you tell me?”

Can Gage and Bree renew their friendship and work through what’s happened? Can Gage change his mind about having a family, and embrace fatherhood and be with Bree? Or will their philosophies that kept them in the friend zone break his heart if he wants more from her?

~*~

Cathy Shouse writes inspirational cowboy romances. Her Fair Creek series, set in Indiana, features the Galloway brothers of Galloway Farms. Much like the characters in her stories, Cathy once lived on a farm in “small town” Indiana, where she first fell in love with cowboys while visiting the rodeo every summer. Please visit cathyshouse.com for more information on discounts and new releases or to sign up for her newsletter.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for coming today, Cathy. I've had some slippers like that, too. Aunt Gladys was a pro.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for inviting me and inspiring me to take a trip down memory lane, Liz!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your stories about your grandma. You are so right--those handmade gifts top anything!! My grandmother was 99 when she died--30 days short of her 100th birthday. I loved her dearly. She loved to crochet and also to quilt and I'm lucky enough to have some of each as keepsakes. Best of luck with your book, Cathy. It sounds like a lovely read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by and for commenting. Nothing compares to our good memories of our grandmas. :)

      Delete
  4. What lovely memories of your grandmother and her gifts of socks. How sweet! And your book write-up is intriguing. I love friends and crushes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading about my memories of my wonderful grandma. I enjoyed writing this book about friends who have to figure out whether their relationship will become more. :)

      Delete
  5. Fun memories. I'm fairly sure my Aunt Alice knitted those for all of us kids when I was a kid. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for reading and commenting, Nan. I love it when a memory of mine feels like it's shared with others. It's a little something else we have in common. :)

    ReplyDelete