Saturday, August 27, 2022

Potholders and Memories by Liz Flaherty

My friend Karen had a pretty potholder at church that someone had made for her from Christmas fabric, and I thought, What a great idea! I could do that between other projects. When I was a kid, Mom had one of those looms where you used circles of fabric--usually cut from the tops of worn-out socks--to make potholders that were both ugly and indestructible. Once you gave one to your grandmother, she couldn't ever throw it away. 

While I have never been above mediocre as a cook--and sometimes mediocre is a bit of a stretch; ask my kids about cube steak at our house--the kitchen is still my favorite part of the house. It's a place of color, cherry cabinets and dark blue walls. It has shelves and windowsills full of memories, junk drawers I need to clean out someday, and windows that frame my life. Including one over the sink.  Kitchen appliances are third only to computers and sewing machines in my power tool inventory. 

The kitchen aisle is my favorite one in any store, and at the top of my list for gifts both given and received is a package containing dish towels--nice, absorbent, colorful ones--and dishrags. They don't even have to match. And it occurred to me just a few years ago that I don't have to wear the old ones completely out before I get new ones. What a concept!

Memories from Grandma's Kitchen

Oh, but I was talking about potholders, wasn't I? Sorry. I use them all the time, another reason I thought they'd be a good project. I still have a few of my grandmother's. They're not pretty, but they've been in use since the middle of the last century, and when I use one, I think of Grandma Neterer. She wasn't much of a cook, either, but I sure did love being in her kitchen. 

So, one afternoon early this week, I made a hot pad from scraps of Christmas fabric. I knew just how I wanted it to look. 

Well, not like that! It is such a mess that even Duane laughed when I held it up to show him. Really, he laughed, and what does he know about potholders? He's probably never left one close enough to a stove burner to start it on fire, dropped it into the dishwater accidentally when he needed to use it as a trivet, or left it somewhere when he used it to carry a hot dish into a pitch-in.

Since I obviously couldn't use it as a gift, I kept it for myself. It works really well. I used a layer of insulated batting, so I haven't had to mumble swear words when the heat came through it at a time I couldn't set the pan down. I like its colors, and I don't much mind that it's a mess. Grandma's are kind of a mess, too.

Most of our memories are that way, aren't they? I suppose it's okay that we clean them up and remember ourselves as more heroic and smarter than we actually were. To recall that our kids were always truthful and obedient as well as gifted. To insist our own childhood behavior was exemplary because our parents would have settled for nothing less. It gives a certain amount of pleasure to lend perfection to things that probably weren't. 

But the memories we laugh longest and hardest at, that we hold the closest even decades later, are the less-than-perfect ones, aren't they? They're the ones that soften the scars on our hearts just as the messy and old potholders keep us from being burned. 

Have a great week. Make memories. Be nice to somebody. 





20 comments:

  1. What a great post! I'm also a mediocre cook and a fan of potholders. I have the trivets that my grandmother used and an old seagrass one that she got in Florida when she and my grandfather were on their honeymoon in 1920. I imagine her choosing it for her new kitchen every time I use it. Thanks for the memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to collect wrought iron / ceramic trivets and have a blue million of them. Naturally, the kids aren't interested...sigh.

      Delete
  2. Cleaning up messy memories describes what I do to a T.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You gotta keep it real, though. :-) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. My grandmother has been gone 30 years but I still use the little yarn trivet she made that look like Happy daisies. My grandpa made the little loom for her to craft them on. They make me smile every time I use them. Food is only one small part of the love in a kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're absolutely right. I have my mom's red glass things in my east window. They mostly came from the fair, but, oh, the love...

      Delete
  4. Lovely!
    I do not sew LOL so I admire anyone who creates these kinds of things.
    Good luck and God's blessings
    PamT

    ReplyDelete
  5. How could one not smile reading this? Seriously. I have wonderful memories of my grandma Lucy in her kitchen. A wonderful cook; always in her apron. Gave me my first cup of coffee (well a little coffee and mostly milk) when I was small. I have none of her things from her kitchen but even 20 years after her passing she remains with me. Thanks for sharing Liz!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love hearing about your grandma Lucy. Such great memories! That was my first few cups of coffee, too!

      Delete
  6. I have potholders made for me by my best friend. I hold them dear every time they keep me from burning my hands. I hold her friendship there too - in my hands. I also have potholders I took from the homes of both of my grandmas when they passed away. I have more than I'll ever need, but it's just having them there, and choosing which one I'll use each time. Great post Liz - I, too, am a mediocre cook!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved it, Liz! I remember making potholders with those kids looms. What a good memory!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was just so lovely, it made me smile. Thanks, Liz!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved this, especially the last paragraph before you sign off! Thanks again for sharing your thoughts with us!

    ReplyDelete