Wednesday, April 6, 2022

A Little Murder by Susie Black

If there is an inheritable gene for story-telling, mine came from my mother’s mother. My nana

should have been a writer. No one could tell a story like her. She was the eldest of six children of a modest immigrant family from Eastern Europe that settled in Boston at the turn of the century. My great-grandfather was a tailor who managed to clothe, feed, and shelter his children, but there was precious little left over for extravagances like a day at the cinema for one child, let alone for six. Nana had a cousin Jenny who played piano at the local silent-movie house and Jenny was able to get a free pass for relatives. Nana and her next oldest sibling traded off weeks going to the serialized show every Saturday afternoon and then came home to tell the story to all the other kids. The other kids hated it when it was my great-aunt’s turn, because she gave a short synopsis and called it a day. They were thrilled when it was Nana’s turn. She set up two rows of chairs in the parlor like in the movie house, served popcorn, dimmed the lights and played background music on a Victrola as she recounted the episode of the serial. Nana would take her time, slowly build up to the cliffhanger and stop talking right before the finale. Nana would wait until my  great uncle Murray would yell, “Go on Rae, go on!” before she’d finish telling the story. Talk about pacing and how to build tension to the finale? Nana had it down pat. I kept Nana’s story-telling skills in mind while writing Death by Sample Size, my debut humorous cozy mystery. Somewhere in the great beyond, Nana is smiling her approval. Take a look at the book and see what Nana is smiling about.

Like the protagonist in my Holly Swimsuit Mystery series, I am a ladies’ apparel sales exec. From the start of my career, I have kept a daily journal that chronicles the quirky, interesting, and often challenging people I’ve encountered as well as the crazy situations I’ve gotten myself into and out of. The journal entries are the foundation of all my writing. With a dollop of imagination, a pinch of angst, and a decades-long career chocked to the gills with juicy characters, I had more stories itching to be told in my daily journal than time to write them.

My parents swore the first word I uttered was not Mama or Daddy or No…it was WHY? Candidly, I’ve never stopped asking that question. I came to write in the cozy mystery genre because I love solving puzzles. My parents would certainly confirm I have always asked a lot of questions, and I am naturally curious (some narrow-minded people say I am nosy…go figure…) LOL. So, writing mysteries was the natural next step for me to take.

As a female who has succeeded in a historically male-dominated industry, it was  important to me to write about the apparel business from a woman’s point of view. All of my characters are based on real people, and the central characters are all strong, successful women who have beaten the odds and broken the glass ceiling. Holly Schlivnik, the main character, is based on me with some poetic license taken, of course. The plots and premises of my stories all take place in the fast-paced ladies' apparel industry.

 Set in the heart of the competitive Los Angeles apparel industry, Death By Sample Size is the story of one woman’s relentless quest for power regardless of the cost. Since she didn’t think any rules applied to her, buying office big shot Bunny Frank had no problem breaking them all. Ruthless, driven and power hungry; from bribery to bullying to extortion, Bunny Frank did whatever it took to make her buying office the biggest and best no matter who she had to step on to succeed. The last thing swimwear sales exec Holly Schlivnik expected was to discover Bunny Frank’s corpse trussed up like a Thanksgiving turkey with a bikini stuffed down her throat. It was no surprise Bunny Frank had finally pushed someone beyond their limits. The only surprise was it had taken so long. The question wasn’t who wanted Bunny Frank dead. The question was who didn’t? When Holly’s colleague is arrested for Bunny’s murder, the wise-cracking, irreverent amateur sleuth jumps into action to find the real killer. Nothing turns out the way Holly thinks it will as she matches wits with a wily killer hellbent on revenge.

Bio:

Named Best US Author of the Year by N. N. Lights Book Heaven, award-winning cozy mystery author Susie Black was born in the Big Apple but now calls sunny Southern California home. Like the protagonist in her Fashion & Foul Play Mystery Series, Susie is a successful apparel sales executive. Susie began telling stories as soon as she learned to talk. Now she’s telling all the stories from her garment industry experiences in humorous mysteries.

Susie reads, writes, and speaks Spanish, albeit with an accent that sounds like Mildred from Michigan went on a Mexican vacation and is trying to fit in with the locals. Since life without pizza and ice cream as her core food groups wouldn’t be worth living, she’s a dedicated walker to keep her girlish figure. A voracious reader, she’s also an avid stamp collector. Susie lives with a highly intelligent man and has one incredibly brainy but smart-aleck adult son who inexplicably blames his sarcasm on an inherited genetic defect.

I would like to thank Liz and Window Over the Sink for this opportunity to introduce myself and my series to all of you. As a special gift to readers I have included a Swimwear Fit Guide. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7lerp4cy1al2j0l/CHOOSING%20THE%20RIGHT%20%20SWIMSUIT.pdf?dl=0

 Universal Buy Link: https://books2read.com/u/3n2xYB

Social media: https://linktr.ee/susieblack.com


My website is: www.authorsusieblack

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for visiting the Window today, Susie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz thank you so much for introducing me to your readers.

      Delete
  2. Your nana sounds like an amazing storyteller!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer, My Nana was an amazing storyteller. In fact, there are several of her family stories I am working on as novels.

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful post. Your family sounds delightful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Barbara. They are an interesting and diverse crowd who have given me a treasure trove of ideas for novels.

      Delete
  4. Dear Susie Black - I love how your nana influenced your sense of humor and storytelling! You're one funny writer, and I loved the humor in your quirky mystery. Can't wait for more ... Laughter is good for one's soul, especially in times such as these! Thank you!--Nancy

    ReplyDelete