Saturday, January 22, 2022

I Don't Talk Funny--You Talk Funny by Liz Flaherty

Let's talk about traveling. Want to? 

It's one of my very favorite things, from the first trip in my memory--Pennsylvania--to the one I just came home from: Nashville, Indiana. 

Honestly? I don't remember much about the trip to Pennsylvania--I was only five, I think. I remember sleeping in a chair that stretched out flat in a motel room, that my cousins had cool tricycles, and that there were sidewalks all over the place on Jones Street in Hollidaysburg that made riding them so much fun. I remember my grandpa advising me to watch my step at Horseshoe Curve right before he tripped and that the adults talked a lot. Why would they talk when there were so many things to do? (I came to understand this later...)


A trip with my friend Shirley and her parents to Washington, DC in 1965 deepened my love for this country and its traditions. Many, many years later, I still remember how it felt to stand in front of Mr. Lincoln in his memorial, the powerful sense of sacrifice that came with visiting Arlington National Cemetery, the pride that came along with being inside the capitol building. At the national fireworks on July 4, there were several hundred thousand people in attendance, well beyond anything I'd ever seen, much less been part of. 


There have been other trips that remain vivid in my mind. Back to DC with our kids, to Ireland in 2009, to Vermont when the sense of homecoming went so deep I still feel it, to the Blue Ridge and the coast of Maine, to Florida's white sand beaches. I have loved everywhere I've been, although a few times the only things I really loved were the people we were there to see. Texas, anyone? 

Writing retreats are some of my favorite excursions. Something about sitting in a house on the side of a mountain with laptops and glasses of local wine and/or endless cups of coffee just brings out the best words in writers. I can't explain it, but there you go. 




While home is my favorite place to be, I'm so grateful to have seen the places I have. I hope I get to see a lot more. I want to hear the accents--I don't talk funny; you talk funny--feel the social vibrations that differ from place to place, and crane my neck to look at wonders both natural and man-made. I want to sleep on beds I don't have to make and use towels I don't have to launder (even though they're always white; have I ever mentioned that I don't like white?) and eat lots and lots of food that tastes different from what I'm accustomed to and--most importantly--I don't have to cook or clean up after. 

I guess there hasn't been much point to this column. Are you surprised? But I'd love to hear how you feel about travel. About your favorite places or even about your Texas. Any advice on where I should go next or how I can talk Duane into it? 

God, I love traveling.

Have a good week. Go somewhere. Be nice to somebody. 



13 comments:

  1. I LOVE to travel and find the different dialects and accents wonderful.
    Good luck and God's blessings in 2022
    PamT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pam. They ARE wonderful, aren't they, except for my embarrassing penchant for having to say "excuse me?" at every whipstitch!

      Delete
  2. I also enjoy travel, whether it's a day trip, a weekend getaway, or a full-blown extended vacation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too! And sometimes the day trip is as much fun as the full-blown one!

      Delete
  3. Hi, Liz. I love an unhurried road trip with time to explore small towns and beauty spots along the way. Like you, I'm fascinated by language, accents, dialects & idioms. It's fun to notice the different ways people express the same ideas--or different ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it is. And, back to food, I love the differences.

      Delete
  4. Alan and I have traveled West across the country. One of my favorite places was Montana. It is what they say "big sky country." It feels like you can see forever, nothing's in the way. I also love Destin, FL where my parents stayed. Alan and I drove the coastline and it was gorgeous. There was Hawaii with its white sand and beautiful sunsets like I've not seen here. I also loved our trip to Minnesota/Wisconsin where we visited wonderful lighthouses. Finally, Colorado is fantastic - the mountains and snow on top. We live in an amazing country. Traveling is therapeutic and enlightening too. We hope to go Northeast next. I want to see all 50 states before I die!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to, too, and I'm starting to doubt whether I'll make it! The Northeast is my favorite--I'd love to go there every year, PLUS go somewhere else, too. There are, however, financial limits to my travel. :-) Thanks for the comment, Deb. I love Florida's Panhandle, too!

      Delete
  5. Love to travel and very grateful I have you to do it with! You already know I love Michigan and Paris...but I'm pretty open to just about anywhere. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We need to think about September...

      Delete
    2. Montana isn't a place I had thought anything about, then Thursday night we watched the first episode of Yellowstone. The scenery is gorgeous and I'm assuming it was of Montana since that's where the Dutton family lives (with Hollywood, you never know).

      Delete
  6. My most memorable travel from when I was a young child was when our parents took us to Niagra Falls, which had been where they took their honeymoon. We stayed in a high-rise hotel and you could go out on a little balcony, which was different from anything in my rural experience of Indiana. We went to the Canada side too, rode the Maid of the Mist, and were thrilled by all of those stories about people going over the falls in a barrel, which they had on display. It was magical and mysterious, and maybe that's where I caught the travel bug?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Niagra Falls. We did a spur of the moment run there on our 40th anniversary!

      Delete