Saturday, September 2, 2023

These Precious Days by Liz Flaherty

Welcome, September! We're heading into one of my favorite times of year right now, when the view out the west window changes every day, the air is fresh and crisp and smelling of harvested grain and apples and everything pumpkin. (If you don't like apples and/or everything pumpkin, that's fine, but we don't discuss that here.)

I took the title of this week's blog from "September Song." While the song itself doesn't fit, these are indeed precious days. All days are, something we discover when we realize how fast they go.

It's also the season of holidays. While big-box store displays would lead us to think Halloween is in June and Christmas is at the end of July, we know better. However, I admit to looking at holiday fabric and thinking of projects I'm not nearly skilled enough to complete. I print out recipes I'll never bake, although I'll look at the pictures a lot and sometimes I'll buy the ingredients. 

It's the best time of the year at the orchards! McClure's and Doud's are both open and perfect places to while away a few hours. 

It's a giving time, isn't it? Churches will be having soup suppers, harvest suppers, and bake-and-craft sales on their premises. There will be vendor sales  at every available venue, complete with food trucks. Anita's Boutique and Gallery 15  and other local stores will have so many pretty things and things that sparkle and things that you don't know how you can possibly go on without. I mean, things you know someone on your gift list wants or needs. 

It's time for Football Friday Nights, too. Be on guard for fundraisers. Be generous when they catch you. 

Have you noticed yet that I really don't have a subject this week? I do have a question for you. Readership on the Window is decreasing. This isn't a terrible thing; after all, it's been around in one incarnation or other since the 1980s, and I've talked a lot during those years. I'm not ready to stop writing the blog/column, but maybe it's time to write it less often. Or to change it. What do you think? Is it time? All ideas--including Just shut up, Liz; you're boring!--accepted. 

Speaking of the Window, the ebooks of Window Over the Sink and Window Over the Desk are 99 cents this week at all electronic retailers. I still have paper copies and so does Anita at the boutique. 



Then, just giving you a heads-up, Rose Cousins, Joe DeRozier, Debby Myers, and I are having a books signing at Gallery 15. Ryan Record will provide music and there will be light refreshments. The Gallery is always a treat to visit, and Sarah and Ron Luginbill are great hosts.


I hope to see you out and about and that you're having wonderful times on these beautiful, precious days we've been seeing lately. Have a good week. Be nice to somebody.




10 comments:

  1. I can see you entering fall mode and I'm right there with you, sister. Enjoy the days, they are precious indeed. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nan. Looking forward to October, too!

      Delete
    2. I look forward to reading your column every Saturday, and would miss it if you were to stop.

      Delete
  2. You may have been around a long time but I only found you in the past year when I joined wild rose press. I enjoy your thoughts and am amazed you can come up with something week in and week out. I only post on my blog about once a month. I think you should post what your heart and soul are saying and if they are on holiday, give it a week off. Thanks for being there. I'm off to pick up your ebooks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's becoming more difficult to find things to write about, and I'm afraid that's obvious! I'm always glad to see you!

      Delete
  3. I know readers tend to expect something regularly, but maybe you can change your regularity (icky word, I know!). Like Bamakim, I'm just reading these recently, so I'd miss them if they were gone all together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Roseann. I think that might be the answer. People have been kind and I so appreciate it.

      Delete
  4. Honestly, yours is the only blog I read on a regular basis. (I do wish I had time for others, but I make time for yours.) But I agree with the others. If you're not feeling it, don't force it. (Although your writing is so pretty I don't think I'd even mind a forced blog.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary. What a nice thing to say! I read several blogs regularly--which often makes me wonder why I bother. I love the microcosms of writers' voices that blogs give.

      Delete