Saturday, September 16, 2023

Eyes On the Ceiling by Liz Flaherty

I saw them before the nurse started putting drops in my eyes. Two eyes and a nose in what looked like a pen-and-ink drawing on the ceiling above me. "Who put them there?" I asked. She said it was an anesthetist (or anesthesiologist--I don't know which is which) who was no longer at the clinic where I was having the cataract removed from my left eye. "Cool idea," I said, and blinked because there were more drops. 

From the days of fun annual visits with the gynecologist, I remembered mobiles hanging from above the table-with-stirrups. I don't remember if they moved or what they were. The doctor's wife, a nurse who understood about stirrups and discomfort and cold specula, had chosen the mobiles for each exam room. 

Where I get my hair "adjusted" to keep me a natural blonde, a wall ornament with a message printed on it is on the ceiling above the shampoo bowls. 

I was always a reader, while the kids were growing up, I took advantage of every moment of non-activity to read. While the family watched TV, I read. While I fixed dinner, I read. In the car waiting for myriad practices to end, I read. I enjoyed what I read, but even now when my kids' kids are mostly grown, I wonder how much I missed because I didn't look up often enough. 

We live near a corner that has stop signs on the east-west road. Since I am always up before daylight, I occasionally watch the corner when I see vehicles approaching it. I have no statistics, but the number of vehicles who blow the red octagon sign is amazing. I don't mean they roll the sign or that they slow down to ensure no headlights are approaching from either the north or the south--I mean they disregard it entirely. Most of the time there isn't traffic from the other ways, but it only takes once. I wish they'd look up. 

This is one of those posts where I could give soooo many examples: sunrise, sunset, pretty moon, deer in the field, little kids laughing. babies, rainbows. Entreaties to heaven and "hi, Mom" to the same place. But I've probably given enough, and the whole thing only has one message. 

Look up.

Have a good week. Be nice to somebody. 

Rose, Debby, Joe, and I hope you'll join us for a book signing at Gallery 15 on September 22. Event host Sarah Luginbill will have music from Ryan Record and light refreshments. 




8 comments:

  1. When I was going through fertility treatments there was a picture of a hunk over the exam bed that I secretly thought of as the father of my children. After all, he was the only guy there when "it happened." I can't remember who it was...Channing Tatum? Patrick Swayze? (You'd think I'd remember who the father of my children was, don't you?) Anyway...good message. I think we all blow stop signs in life. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, we all do, don't we? I love your father of your children story!

      Delete
  2. I do love it when docs put stuff on the ceilings--that's such a cool, settling kind of thing. I try to look up every time I get out of the car in our driveway at night--there's always a moon, if even a piece and maybe a planet or two hanging over the trees across the street. Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sky has endless entertainment going for it, doesn't it? Thanks, Nan.

      Delete
  3. Sometimes we're so busy doing "something" we lose sight of how much there is to see when you're doing nothing but looking out or up or down .

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in London right now, looking up (except to respond!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, what a great place to look up! I hope you're loving every minute, Roseann.

      Delete