Saturday, July 22, 2023

Different Gifts by Liz Flaherty

I watch birds through the window beside my desk. And deer. And squirrels and rabbits and even the occasional galumphing groundhog. I watch the corn grow beyond the fence row--no fences anymore, but the row is still there, punctuated by nettles and a cottonwood in the corner. I watch for purple flowers--they're always my favorites. If I look away, the corn has grown another foot--at least, that's how it seems. I wonder what's going on with the field beside the road. If all our neighbors are okay. 

I write in the morning, starting by reading over what I wrote the day before and wondering what I was thinking. It's my favorite time of day, these hours in here by the window. My kids are always asking what I want done with my ashes when I die. I've asked them to plant me with a tree--I love trees--but maybe a Mason jar in a west window would be okay, too.

I scroll on Facebook when the words aren't coming, which still entertains me. My feed isn't overtly political or profane--more like neighbors talking about corn crops and rain and...you know, what's going on in the field by the road. They post pictures of purple flowers and kittens and front porches. 

There are, of course, cranky ones there, who don't want to be disagreed with but don't mind disagreeing with other people. They remind me of a review I got on a book once (you always remember the bad ones), wherein Diane M. said, "I don't get the five star rating others gave it but if you like really dumb stories - go for it!" (The book in question is Because of Joe. I'm still wounded by the review, which I can only assume was her point.)

But that's the way neighbors are in real life, isn't it? They have eccentricities, but they're still your neighbors. You still like them. You may think they're grumpy or that their politics are pretty awful or even that they write dumb books, but you still worry when they're ill. They still check on you after surgery. You pray for each other. You celebrate each other. 

"We all have different gifts, so we all have different ways of saying to the world who we are," said Fred Rogers. 

We do. As always, Mr. Rogers had it right. Our gifts are like our opinions; some are better than others, more appreciated, better for humankind. We need to know the differences and accept that we are not all alike. Sometimes we have to walk away, but we don't have to slam doors on the way out.  

The animals were active in the yard this morning, with the resident doe standing still and staring at the squirrels. I wondered if she was doing like we do when we see deer on the road and stopping to let them cross because if there was one, there was likely a dozen. The birds visit the suet feeders in turn. The starlings are first, then the brown ones I always call sparrows but are probably several different ones, then the blue jays, and finally the woodpeckers. They're my favorites to watch. They all scold sometimes, grumpy and discordant, but not often. 

Like the rest of us, they all have their own gifts. 

Have a good week. Be nice to somebody.  


10 comments:

  1. What a lovely post, Liz. I especially love this line: "Sometimes we have to walk away, but we don't have to slam doors on the way
    out." If only people would behave that way. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true, isn't it? I have to admit, though, that it's harder and harder to know when to stay and when to go. Thanks for coming by!

      Delete
  2. Lovely, as always, Liz! My "favorite" bad review said my book was "worse than a bad first date." Then there was the one where the reader spent a lot of time punctuating it with the right gifs, you know, of people yawning, etc. and the occasional, "I have never not finished reading a book, but this was so awful..." I like to comfort myself by remembering that some of the great works of literary time were rejected. Almost 40 publishers passed on "Gone With the Wind." That it was said of Joseph Heller in a review of his "Catch 22," that he is like a painter who "decides to throw all the ideas in his sketchbooks onto one canvas, relying on their charm and shock to compensate for the lack of design.” Ouch! Oh, and I call all the little birds house finches, although some might be your sparrows. :) Thanks for sharing your thoughts and have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, my gosh--it's amazing what people will say, isn't it? We used to have a plethora of golden finches around here--not so anymore, although we do still see the house finches.

      Delete
  3. What beautiful reflections. I love the gentle tone of your remarks. I especially enjoyed your look out the window. Before I moved into town, I had such a view and I do miss it! May you have many more such days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is amazing peace to be found looking out your window. I love that you always close with be nice. We all learned that long before kindergarten but forgot it somewhere along the way. Thanks for a ray of hope and kindness!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love these thoughts -- very poetic for morning musings! My first bad review hurt, but I tried to read it only twice. (Basically, it said the story was boring although it got better but they wouldn't recommend it.) Thank goodness for the words of those who let us have our "different ways of saying to the world who we are." And thank you for your words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Roseann. Take it from me--"boring" was wrong!

      Delete