Saturday, October 8, 2022

"Before We Read, We Look and See."

 


I'm starting this on Tuesday of all days because I'm in Michigan on a writing retreat with Nan Reinhardt. I got 1000 happy words in today, plus had a great lunch and a walk around South Haven. But then this afternoon on Facebook, I saw the meme above. I thought, Oh, yes. 

Does anyone else remember the first Dick and Jane reader? Its first word was Look, and I was so mesmerized by it. Looking things up now, I found that the premise for that book was the title up there: "Before We Read, We Look and See." 

There was no "before" to it for me. When I read that first word, there was no going back. I sat in the barn on a milking stool and Mom and my brother Dan helped me read that first book. (I needed a lot of help.) When I told my first grade teacher I'd read the whole book but that I couldn't seem to remember come, she said I was lying. But I wasn't. (Not that I never did. Sigh.)

I have a slew of days that changed my life. Children's births, grandkids' births, marriage, job change, retirement, the Emmaus Walk, the day my first book sold. I'm glad to have those, lucky to have those, and still happy to have met Dick and Jane and to have been so immediately enthralled by the written word.

Magic hour, indeed.

~*~

When peace like a river attendeth my way
When sorrows like sea billows roll
Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say
It is well, it is well with my soul

Saturday morning.

Thanks to Michigan for a wonderful four days. If you're ever in South Haven, pay Clementine's a visit. The food and service were wonderful. After dinner, take a walk or a ride to the lighthouse and watch the sun slip silently into the water. 

There are two huge blessings about going away for a few days. The first one is getting to go. The second one is getting to come home.

Have a blessed week. Be nice to somebody.




3 comments:

  1. And sometimes there's a third wonderful thing about leaving home. You meet someone who changes you for the better. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember the Dick and Jane books too! I loved the book & did the same thing you did! I wanted to read more than anything & it's definitely a moment I'll never forget! Thanks for the fun reminder!

    ReplyDelete