Saturday, September 24, 2022

Looking for Bobby by Liz Flaherty

Our prompt at Black Dog Writers' Group in September was to write about something between our ages of 18-22. We could tell the whole story, pieces of it, or just recount a moment. The stories people told were amazing--it was one of the best meetings we've ever had. This one was mine. 

I wasn’t eighteen yet, although less than two months lay between June 6, 1968, and my August birthday. I was freshly graduated from high school, working a job I disliked intensely, and seething with the words to Peggy Lee’s song, “Is That All There Is?”, even though it hadn’t been recorded yet.

But I was having a good time, having shaken off the shackles of having to seek permission for virtually every move I made. I’d stopped—for the most part—sneaking out to smoke and taken to staying out well past the midnight curfew that had accompanied me through my previous dating years, swearing without fear, and developing ideas of my own that seldom coincided with those of my family.

Something that happened well before that time, though, was my interest in politics, one that had its foundation in the presidential election in 1960. Our fifth-grade class discussed it on a daily basis, debating the pros and cons of Kennedy and Nixon with raised voices and very little actual knowledge. The election board lent us a desk top prototype of a voting booth, and we held our own election. The results were predictable, although not nearly as much then as they are now.

We saw things through those years. Even where I went to school, the student body was silenced and horrified by JFK’s assassination. Not so much when it was Dr. King. We were not diverse there in the cornfields, people around us still used the n-word frequently, and being different in any way wasn’t something to be encouraged; while I had met black people, I didn’t actually know any. None. While I was sorry for Dr. King’s death, I couldn’t begin to understand the grief, anger, and hopelessness everyone in his race must have felt. I bought into “different” because I didn’t know any better, but I should have. I should have.

Because Bobby Kennedy was my hero, I should have.

It didn’t occur to me until June of that year that I should have dug deeper to understand. When Bobby Kennedy died, it was my first up-close acquaintance with social hopelessness, my first bout with sharp, sustained grief that didn’t have to do with someone I personally knew and loved, my first anger at people who think hate is okay. More than okay, it’s to be revered, shared, and cultivated.

I should have dug deeper.

But I didn’t mean for this to be a soliloquy on politics or how I feel about hate. Except maybe I did. I remember that day in June when Bobby was shot. My mom woke me to tell me, and even though he was still alive, we knew it wouldn’t be for long. The madman with the gun was very thorough in his destruction of the person many of us thought would be our country’s savior.

History Nebraska

I’d seen him that April on his whistle-stop tour. I skipped school to go to the depot in Peru and listen to him talk from the rear platform of a train car. Oddly enough, I can’t remember if it was a caboose or not, which sounds like a non sequitur but has been fidgeting around in the back of my mind all the while I’ve been writing this.

I was short and the area was packed. Although I could hear, I couldn’t see until the man behind me, easily a foot taller, put his hands under my elbows and steered me straight through the crowd to where I stood right at the end of the train. Right there! I could see Ethel Kennedy’s makeup that drew commentary from my Republican friends and their children looking bored and Mr. Kennedy speaking earnestly.

I thanked the man behind me, bursting into laughter when I saw that the front of his shirt was plastered with badges supporting Eugene McCarthy for the presidential nomination.

“Things will be better,” I said. “When Bobby’s elected, things will be better.” I was buoyant with hope, with faith in someone who was up for rattling the cages of tradition and conformity that had kept me so unaware.

While I had been interested in politics since I was ten, I’d taken little time to widen the scope of that interest. Even that month, that same month that Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. was assassinated, the scope remained narrow. But Bobby would widen it, not just for me but for everyone. Our generation, all those others like me who skipped school to stand at the end of that train and cheer until we were hoarse, were going to make things better.

We’d get us out of Vietnam.

We’d end the hate.

We’d see to it that there was No More War. As a matter of fact, violence would disappear altogether.

No one would ever be hungry.

Everyone would have not only freedom of religion but freedom from it, too, if that was what they wanted.

We’d save the planet.

Racism would disappear. (That was an afterthought with me—I still didn’t get it.)

But then Bobby died.

My life changed irrevocably that year I turned 18. Because Bobby Kennedy lived and because he died. Our generation didn’t do any of the things we thought we would, but I learned to widen the scope as much as a white girl from the cornfields could manage. I learned to keep trying. Keep trying. Keep trying. And never, ever give up.

And at the end of the political day, I’m still looking for Bobby.

Have a great week. Be nice to somebody.   


15 comments:

  1. Fabulous post, Liz! I saw Bobby in Indy in April 1968, the night MLK was assassinated. I was in that crowd with my older sister and he was mesmerizing and just felt right to my 15-year-old self. Two months later, he and a lot of hope was gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right. Things have never been quite the same again, have they?

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the great story. Who would’ve guessed that the world be be like it is. So sad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is sad. I wish I'd done better. Done more. I suppose we all do. Thanks for coming by.

      Delete
  3. I take hope from your post. When we were young we thought we had the answers, but we didn't and the world went on. The young today think they hold the magic key. They don't, but the world will go on and somehow we'll glean some of the best from them just like the world did from us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope they learn and hold onto values that improve the world. I'm not sure how we lost our way so thoroughly, but we certainly did.

      Delete
  4. What a powerful time in our history. You were fortunate to have seen Bobby Kennedy, even briefly as you did. I was familiar with them only through news articles, yet like most who lived through that era, was strongly influenced--and affected--by their stories and their tragic deaths. Thanks for sharing your story with us, Liz. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely a lifechanging time. Thanks for coming, Barb.

      Delete
  5. I was a freshman in college in May of '68. Bobby flew into a nearby town for a rally, and several of us went to see him. He actually shook my hand! Then, less than 2 weeks later, he was killed. I still get sad when I think about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too. It's a piece of my heart I've never gotten back.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful post, Liz. I'm reading with one eye open but shedding tears from both. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your sentiments echo mine, having lived my childhood in rural central Indiana. Thank goodness I was able to evolve.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the deaths of both great men reverberated through our collective innocence and woke the nation up. It wasn't easy, it still isn't, but we have to put in the work to make the world better for everyone. Great post as usual, LIz!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Max. We do still feel those reverberations, don't we?

      Delete