Saturday, July 9, 2022

Hope and Other Good Things by Liz Flaherty

Continuing with hope...and other good things... Kind of busy this week, so bear with me while I this and that it for a little while--at least until the pie is done and I have to get the brownies into the oven.

Today, between five and eight PM, if you're not busy, ride out to the corner of 1100 N and Meridian Road for a sandwich, a piece of pie, and some homemade ice cream. Try a couple of flavors, because Ebenezer UM Church's Ice Cream Social only comes once a year! Free will donation and a bake sale right there when you come in the door!



Tomorrow, head south, where Peoria Church is having their ice cream social at 4:00. Three Old Guys are playing music while you eat and talk on the church's beautiful grounds. I haven't been there yet, so I can't recite their menu, but the address is 5575 E 325 S, Peru. 




One night this week, I got to attend the meeting of the book group my daughter-in-law Laura is part of. They'd read Window Over the Sink, which was pretty exciting in itself, but it was also several hours of some of the best food and the best conversation! 

Two of our grandboys, Skyler and Shea, had birthdays this week. Although they were six and five only a few days ago, they're 26 and 25 now. Skyler, with his parents there to watch, was promoted to First Lieutenant on his birthday, Our grandgirl, Tierney, got engaged this summer. Fionn is getting ready to go to Ball State. 

Someone else's granddaughter mows a nearby churchyard and cemetery every week. She's never late and she does a great job. Someone else's granddaughter sells eggs. Grandkids of the people who lived in our neighborhood when we moved to our house 45 years ago are homeowners here now. The neighborhood is better for them being here. I'm grateful.

A young woman who lives close shared this on Facebook. I've seen it before, but it's a great reminder. I don't think she'll mind me posting it here. 


You read and hear a lot of complaining about "these kids today," just as you always have. I am so grateful for them and proud of them. Not just ours, but yours, too. They think, they work, they're hilarious, they're caring, and they give me hope that things will be better. 

The sun has come up through the east window and the bob-whites are talking a mile a minute. Wishing you a great week. I hope you go eat ice cream and talk to your neighbors. Be nice to somebody. 

Liz 🌟


2 comments:

  1. Thank you for a little bit of sunshine in a world where it is hard to find.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it when people appreciate the younger generation! Especially liked the remark, "they're hilarious." Here I thought only "mine" were funny. LOL

    ReplyDelete