Saturday, July 30, 2022

Dresses or Pants? by Liz Flaherty

Since I got out of high school and it was no longer a requirement to wear a dress every day, I have always worn pants. As a yoyo dieter whose size varies every single year of my life, the kind of tops worn with said pants varies, but...yes, always pants. 

I wore jeans for a long, long time. They were comfortable and warm in the winter, comfortable and not hot in the summer. I went from tapered Levis to bell bottoms (where I stayed until I was the only person in a 50-mile radius still wearing them) to mom jeans to...well, no, I stopped there. I never warmed to low-rise--not enough coverage. Skinny jeans, while they look wonderful on some people, don't look wonderful on others. Guess which category I fall into.

During the years I worked in an office, I wore dress pants. Gabardine was my closest friend. It was loose and comfortable and feminine-looking, and you could dress them down or up and everywhere in between. 

Capris replaced bell bottoms in my heart as my most beloved pants. White capris have become the "little black dress" of the time. And then...and then...you know what I'm going to say next, don't you. 

Leggings. Leggings are a gift from God. Even if your legs are veined and wrinkled--who, me?--leggings can improve their look. Although I have token pairs of jeans, white capris, and dress pants, mostly I have leggings.

Photo from Garden Gate
But last night we went to an event at Garden Gate Greenhouse. It is the most beautiful place, if you haven't been there, with the nicest people. We watched the Barrel Scrapers play bluegrass (wonderfully) and talked to people we hadn't seen in a long time. Garden Gate CafĂ© catered. It was a good time. 
Barrel Scrapers Bluegrass

And some of the women there had on the prettiest dresses. I have a few. I wear them to church and to weddings and graduations. But mostly, you know, I wear pants. Shaving your legs isn't actually necessary in them, and you don't have to put on tanning stuff to keep your white skin from blinding people. 

But those were so pretty. Maybe 50-some years is long enough to just wear pants, no matter how much I like leggings. So this morning I ordered three dresses for myself. I'll let you know how it goes. What do you think?

Have a great week. Be nice to somebody. 

~*~
Excitement on the book front. Reinventing Riley, the second book in the Second Chances Series, is available in paperback. While I read almost everything on my Kindle, I have to admit there's just something about a book. 

I will have a limited number of books available, and Anita will have them at Anita's Boutique, too, but not yet. Here's the Amazon link. I hope you order and enjoy!


He’s afraid a second time at love wouldn’t live up to his first. She’s afraid a second round would be exactly like her first.

Pastor Jake McAlister and businesswoman Riley Winters are in their forties and widowed. Neither is interested in a relationship. They both love Fallen Soldier, the small Pennsylvania town where they met, even though Rye plans to move to Chicago, and Jake sees a change in pastorates not too far down the road. Enjoying a few-weeks friendship is something they both look forward to.

However, there is an indisputable attraction between the green-eyed pastor and the woman with a shining sweep of chestnut hair. Then there’s the Culp, an old downtown building that calls unrelentingly to Rye’s entrepreneurial soul. And when a young man named Griff visits Jake, life changes in the blink of a dark green eye.

10 comments:

  1. Yup to all of it...although I confess to not quite being ready for dresses yet. My new thing is skorts... I'm loving them this summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the skort I have, but haven't found others I liked.

      Delete
  2. I'm still in my jeans, but I have a few dresses that I love to wear when they fit the occasion. I still don't worry about shaving my legs or worrying that they're white. I wear leggings that are light tan like hose, but much more comfy. No one can tell the difference. I wore skorts for a while, then capris, but most of the time now, it's jeans. I especially like that the ripped ones are popular. And they let me know what my weight is too. I remember when I wore 8, then 10...and so on. There is a number I won't go beyond without a strict diet (since exercise has to be light), so I don't go over that number! But jeans are pants...so, I guess I'm with you most of the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. Right! I can't say the ripped jeans thing thrills me, which definitely shows my age. It always reminds me of musicians breaking up instruments on stage; what a waste of things someone else would treasure.

      Delete
  3. Love dresses. It’s so easy because all you have to match is flip flops. One and done. But they have to have pockets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely agree about the pockets, and I forgot to check that on the ones I ordered...

      Delete
  4. I used to jeans or slacks except to church or something special. Now I love wearing maxi skirts. I prefer them with pockets. I have a variety of styles and patterns. I do NOT like those high rise things and don't understand how they got started. I prefer natural waistlines, even though mine has expanded--which makes elastic waistbands my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A friend last night gave me a horrified look and said, "I don't even own a dress!" We'll see how it goes with me. I prefer NO waistlines because I'm the original apple-shape. I do like long skirts, though.

      Delete
  5. I have on a dress for the first time in years. I am going to church with my Mom in the small church where I was raised. I spend most of my time in capris and shirts, skirts for golf and now that I am retired don’t plan to wear many of my collection of long pants. So back to the reason for the dress, although I am way old enough to have caring what people think we never wore pants to church in this small, Midwest town so I find breaking that custom difficult to change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is something sweet about the custom, too. Respectful. I usually wear pants to church, (white capris or black leggings), but I look forward to wearing a dress. I like that even from the slippery side of life's slope, change can be...fun.

      Delete