Wednesday, January 20, 2021

Pearls and Blue by Liz Flaherty #WindowOvertheSink

I don't usually blog on Wednesday, but today's a different Wednesday for many of us. It's a bright, hopeful day. I also try to mostly stay away from politics, whereas today I'm delving right in. The Window will be itself again Saturday, and I invite you back then if you'd rather give this one a skip. 



My daughter's a teacher. Sometimes we talk in the morning before school. This morning, Inauguration Day, she asked me if women could vote when my mother was born.

No, they couldn't.

By the time she reached majority, they could and she did, but it's still hard for me to grasp that I'm only one generation in my family away from being considered the lesser gender not only by way too many people but legally as well.

It has been an emotional week. I guess they're all emotional these days. The pandemic has taken its toll. The political divide has, too. 

For those of us with pearls at our necks and blue as our signature color, the past four years have been difficult. We struggled with an administration that a plurality of the voters did not want and could not respect. We saw name-calling become the American way of communication, demonizing those who disagree with you its national language, and a return to the if-you-don't-like-it-you-can-leave mentality of the Vietnam era. 

We saw "alternative facts" become acceptable. In the eyes and hearts of we pearl-clutchers in blue, we were no longer the good neighbors we'd taken such pride in being. 

It was an administration that left many Christians struggling because we knew, we knew this was not what Jesus would do. And yet so very many of us still know that it was.

I felt, for those four years, that here we were only one generation away from women getting the vote, and we were losing what got us there. Where was the empathy, the love and caring for others, the respect for each other's beliefs? 

Was it all one-sided? Oh, no. There were politicians, journalists, and clergy who all fed our fears--whichever fears those were. There were hate groups who hated for the sake of hating and liars who lied for the sake of lying. On both sides of the divide. 

But today was the inauguration of a new president and  vice-president. Many of us  are happy. Relieved. Delivered. There are also those who still believe 82 million of us cheated. Who believe the attack on the Capitol two weeks ago was just a small blip in the scheme of things, undoubtedly orchestrated by liberals. 

I'm sorry for that. Because we are all still Americans. I do not want them to feel, as those of us in blue have felt these past four years, as if it's not their country anymore. It still is, but they're going to have to make room. Just as 100 years ago, the men had to make room for the woman's vote. Her voice. 

Speaking for me, and I'm sure for some of the others in blue and pearls, this is my best day in a very long time. I hope the ensuing days are good for the red side, too.

Do I think we can all join together? No. Not for a while anyway. Too much hate and hurt have damaged the bridge to the point that repair will take a while. 

Until then, though... Hello. My name is Liz. I'm a good neighbor and I hope you are, too. Maybe we can work together. 

Have a good week. Be nice to somebody.


6 comments:

  1. Thank you for writing this post Liz. I believe that we women will always try to make room for everyone who wants to come in. My Grandmothers were born in 1901 and 1902, so they were each able to vote when they reached majority. But I'm sure they realized the importance of that right. This has been a day to remember. I feel emotional, with hope for the future, for my children, my grandchildren, my neighbors and my community. And, as you said, "Be nice to somebody." Cathy Clark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thanks, Cathy. And, yes, the feeling of hope is just so...full today, isn't it?

      Delete
  2. Women should run the world. :) Thank you for your thoughts, Liz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Donna. I think we might do a better job in some respects!

      Delete
  3. I believe kindness is the only thing that can possibly pull us through, one interaction at a time. And that there is room for disagreement, with respect, because I think we all have something to contribute. “It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.” – Harry S. Truman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I keep saying empathy, and I think the two words go together! Thanks, Beth.

      Delete