Saturday, February 27, 2021

Ends, Beginnings, and Funny Feelings by Liz Flaherty

Our family sold our farm. The 40 acres on a corner had been in the family for well over 100 years. Although I am sentimental about virtually everything, I am not particularly so about the place I grew up. Go figure. Mostly I am happy that the person who bought the place will take care of it. He will respect and nourish the land in exchange for what the land gives back. So I'm good with it.

But the lilac bushes there on the corner where the house is were my mom's. They're big, glorious ones. I used to hide in the one there by the driveway near the old hitching post. I crawled into it so often there was a hollowed-out place in the middle of it. It is the one that bloomed in August in 2019 when my brother Tom died. I felt as if it was Mom assuring us that Tom and Dan and Christine were all with her and all was well. It bloomed again in August of 2020, and I hope it was Mom and Dad saying it was okay to let the farm go. It was time. 

There are blue spruces on the corner. My brother Dan planted them, I think. He had a way around blue spruces. 

A large rock sits there. My sister sat on that rock with her back to the rest of the world and figured out how to go on from whatever place she was in. Coming along later, I tried to use the rock for the same purpose. Didn't work. It was Nancy's rock, not mine. 

Thinking of the corner makes me ache and my eyes sting. There were five of us who grew up in that too-small house, and one little girl who died when she was only three. How many times did a school bus stop there in the 26 years there was a Shafer kid in school at Gilead and later North Miami? How many times did Mom watch us and imagine what Christine would have looked like climbing onto the bus?

Mom always kept things "for good," which is why I don't. I think she enjoyed having the things, and looking at them, while I enjoy using them. Neither way is wrong. But I remember boxes of candy sitting on the stairs at the farm (it was cold there on the steps--even colder at the top of them). I opened a box of chocolate covered cherries one time and found them collapsed in on themselves and hardened by time. That may be when I decided I wouldn't keep things, but use them. It was heartbreaking to have candy that couldn't be eaten.

Those stairs are still in that old house full of memories and things saved for good. Most of the things are gone now. We've taken them out, shared them among ourselves and given much away. We've wondered what some things were and why they were saved. Vandals have done their part, too, destroying and doing harm because...well, I don't know why they do it. I get angry about that because even in these last months of owning the farm, it was still my mother's house; it deserved respect if for no other reason than she loved it.

Maybe now, finally, I know why I've written this column this morning. It's a goodbye to the farm, yes, but it's also a thank-you to it. It's not that I was always happy there--I'm not someone who enjoyed childhood--but I was safe. I was loved. I was never hungry. It was where I learned that if you look hard enough, there is always something to laugh about. It's where I learned to be strong and to think for myself  and that no one owed me anything except whatever respect I earned.

Although selling property is always an end to something, the memories don't go away; they are yours to keep. I still hid in the lilac bush, broke the window on the front of the house--Dan dared me to see if I could throw the stick over the roof. I never said I was smart--and read 100s of books that started me on the path to writing my own.

I'm thinking about the family I grew up with as I sit here. My brothers and sisters and my parents and the ripples that came from them. Brothers' friends that I had crushes on, sister's friends who were funny and friendly and still are, and the neighbor's farm where we went every year for our Christmas tree (a dollar every year; thank you, Mr. Swigart.) 

I think of the song I talked about last week, Harry Chapin's "Circle," and once again his lyrics speak the voice of my heart. 

"But I have this funny feeling;
That we'll all be together again."

Amen. Have a great week. Seek out and treasure the memories. Be nice to somebody.

***

Anita's store is colorful, its inventory reasonably priced, and, kind of like "Alice's Restaurant," you can "get anything you want." It's a great spot for clothing, gifts, and one-of-a-kind items. The store's phone number is 765-470-2035. If you haven't been there yet, you're missing out!

 


27 comments:

  1. Thank you so much. It was cathartic to write, to say the least, and a reminder of so much sweetness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely remembrance. It can be hard to say goodbye, but often that's necessary if we're going to say hello to whatever is next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true. This was a case of not actually necessary yet, but just "it was time." It's been a truly bittersweet week. Thank you for commenting.

      Delete
  3. Wow that was amazing to read. It was like drawing me in as if I was peeking inside that bush to see where you were sitting. I could imagine your frustration when the rock didn't work for you but always seemed to work for your sister... well done ! Praying that the new owners love the place and it brings them many years of happiness!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what lovely memories, Liz! Thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this post. So glad you have such memories to treasure, and I'm like you--I like using things. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennifer. My mom remembered the Great Depression very well--it made a difference in how she viewed a lot of things.

      Delete
  6. Having grown up on a farm that was eventually sold, I think I know your feelings. I wasn't always happy there and I certainly never wanted to live there as an adult, but still, it's bittersweet when it's gone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A home, love, and safety. Do you know how lucky you were? And, that's why you are who you are. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In retrospect, yes, very lucky. At the time, there were other issues; aren't there always? Poverty is difficult no matter when the time or where the place. But I'm happy for my beginnings. Thanks, Sandy.

      Delete
  8. I sympathize with your losing your childhood home and share your hope it will be in good hands. My grandparents' house and land where I grew up was taken by eminent domain for Interstate expansion; the small kingdom which held such wonderful memories is now no more than a grassy hollow where overflow rainwater collects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Helen! That makes me sad for your family. Yes, our farm is in very good hands and we are happy for that.

      Delete
  9. It's hard to let go of a place with so many memories, but new beginnings always bring new adventures. Wishing you all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So very lovely. Thanks for sharing. Now I know why your writing speaks to me. What delightful memories. Even the not so good ones shape you into the person you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marcia. One thing about aging is that you can find something in nearly every circumstance to be grateful for.

      Delete
  11. You have a special gift of making everyday life shine. Great memories and a great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you, Judi. We are blessed by our voices, aren't we? (Although there are a few who wouldn't mind hearing a little less of mine. Lol.)

      Delete
  12. What wonderful memories, and strangely mine are very much the same. I recall my mum saying that when she drove past Clevedon School and there was no longer one of her children attending school there, it gave her the strangest of feelings. She'd had children attending that school for 27 years years. You have a real gift for making the ordinary feel special. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a wonderful thing to say. Thank you. I definitely have had that feeling your mother had.

      Delete
  13. I grew up in a city, but we had lilacs too. And my mom kept things for good. I'm like you and use them, eat them, wear them. (the "good" nightgowns in her drawer - wow) I, too came from 5 (mom lost one 7 months pregnant) and I, too have lost some. I feel this post deeply, Liz. Thanks for writing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bonnie. We’ve shared some pain in the past few years, haven’t we? But we have wonderful memories, too.

      Delete