Saturday, March 16, 2024

The Art of Being Thrilled by Liz Flaherty

Okay, it's probably not an art. Being thrilled, I mean. It's something I've never given much thought. I don't read thrillers, don't watch thrillers, am categorically scared of anything described as a thriller. I'm not afraid they'll hurt me--they're mostly fiction--but they will keep me awake, reappear in my dreams when I do get to sleep, and make me say after watching one that "there go two hours I can never get back."

But there's a real difference between dramatic thrillers, which really are art, and just being thrilled. Which is just fun.

Yesterday, a bunch of us had lunch together. We met at noon and at 2:30, we finally vacated the table. We've been friends for over 40 years, that bunch that met. We share memories, we care for each other, and we laugh a lot. We don't meet often, nor do we have to, but I am thrilled with the days that we do.

Also yesterday, I had two notes from publishers. Neither of them involved money, contracts, promises, or bestsellerdom, but they were personal and friendly. In the constantly changing publishing industry, I am totally thrilled with personal and friendly.

Peru High School's basketball team is at the semi-state today. What a thrilling ride the past few weeks have been for the players and their supporters. 

Picture borrowed from https://www.facebook.com/groups/868515521440675


Just this week, I was thrilled to have cleaned off the dining room table, the kitchen island, and the table next to my chair. Like most thrills, those won't last long. 

I've been thrilled to have coffee every morning in the silence of the office, to save 10 cents a gallon on gas, to have dinner at Beef O'Brady's, another dinner from Ebenezer Church pizza, and one last night at Farmhouse Cafe. I'm also thrilled that I don't have to cook if I don't feel like it. 

Wishing you a Happy St. Patrick's Day and a great week. I hope you find a thrill here and there. Be nice to somebody.



2 comments:

  1. We were thrilled to see your husband at the round robin at the library this afternoon. Would have been thrilled to see you, too. Happy St. Patrick's Day tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete