Saturday, February 24, 2024

A Good Week by Liz Flaherty

The weather is weird, isn't it? Sometimes, especially as I'm walking through the snow to get to the office, I wonder if it's the universe's way of telling us to pay attention. Is God muttering about how to wake us up, so he sends things to slow us down and make us think. Maybe even before we fall and break a hip.

I don't know. Makes sense to me, though. 

I hope you've had a good week. I have, although not a productive one. That's one of the things you have to adapt to when you reach a certain age. Well, that I've had to adapt to. 

A good week involves the people you see and talk to, the things you laugh at, if you get some good sleep instead of lying there worrying about where you put the paper you know you got and saved. 

In a good week, you talk to one of your kids almost every day. They make you laugh. You may get to see one, along with a sleepy grandboy. 

Sometimes you get to talk to a kid about the word cacophony, which you can't even spell, but you love the pictures it draws in your mind. Cacophony refers to noise, but not always sound. It's a big, full word. 

A good week means time with friends, laughing at the selective hearing of husbands (It's a real thing--you know it is. Just like a man cold, only incurable.) 

A good week is laughing hard at a play at Ole Olsen right after you've eaten a really good meal catered by Made by Jade.

And there are others.

Talking to a rural mail carrier who loves her job.

Listening to Peter and Company at Legend's and eating more really good food.

Friday night supper at Farmhouse Cafe. Sharing the table with friends and good conversation. Beef and noodles and a decadent dessert.

A few warm, sunny days. An inch of white landscape out there this morning. A 19-year-old cat insisting he hasn't eaten in days! 

A writer / teacher friend on FB often ends her posts with And yes, that helps. Despite. Anyway. Kathie Giorgio's had a time of it lately, and I'm happy to see the hope at the end of what she writes. I'm always glad to see hope.

As you can tell, I didn't have much going on today. But having a good week was enough. I hope you've had one, too, and that the one coming up is even better. Be nice to somebody.

In case you're looking for something to read...


Dinah is a mom, a giver, and a doer, so she’s used to change, but this summer is kind of overdoing that. The diner where she’s worked for half her life is closing, her college-age kids aren’t coming home for the summer, and a property on nearby Cooper Lake is calling her name, bringing long-held dreams of owning a B & B to the fore. Newcomer Zach Applegate is entering into her dreams, too.

Divorced dad, contractor, and recovering alcoholic Zach is in Fallen Soldier, Pennsylvania, to visit his brother and to decide what’s coming next in his life. He doesn’t like change much, yet it seems to be everywhere. But he finds an affinity for remodeling and restoration, is overjoyed when his teenage sons join him for the summer, and he likes Dinah Tyler, too. A lot.

Dinah and Zach each experience sorrow and tumult, but go on to dance in the kitchen. Together, they have something, but is it enough?


8 comments:

  1. It will be a good week next week--we have a work day coming up! YAY! Nice post, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also had a pretty good week. On Monday, I finished writing two grants to fund children's workshops and director's workshops for Ole Olsen. Wednesday, we had a very productive board meeting, I got to see my grandgirl Taylor who just turned 16, and Booboo went for a grooming. Thursday I went to the same dinner theater you did & saw my husband perform too. Yesterday I sat down & wrote more in my next book, and today, so far, I ordered the cake for my mom's 80th birthday and will call to talk to my mom a little later. Must have been a time for good weeks. The only downside was in the health department. The temperatures changing so drastically more than once, have my body tingling and numb in spots from my chest down. Yet I've had the will to fight through it to do all the good things I did this week. Prayers for another one next week without the MS acting up!!! Love your stuff Liz & so glad I got to see you and Duane this week too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My good week was completing a large building on my husband's model railroad layout while praying almost constantly for a 36 year old nephew in the ICU who was bleeding from unknown reasons. He's been in there 6 weeks. But the bleeding has stopped! For two whole days. He's alert and his exhausted mother and wife are relieved. As am I. I guess that's better than good. It's great! Praise the Lord!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As always, loved reading this, Liz, and taking a walk with you through your week. Mine has been a full one as I've been working hard at preparing our house to be put on the market. It's always nice to check things off the list! Looking forward to your next post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a mixture of excitement and dread that must be. We haven't moved in 46 years; I can't imagine what it will be like if we have to leave this place.

      Delete