Saturday, October 28, 2023

Long Live the Delete Key by Liz Flaherty

I just wrote an entire post in one sitting on Friday morning. I researched what I was writing, gave good quotes to prove my point, thought about what pictures I'd use, and went in to eat my breakfast. (Egg sandwich, in case you're looking for ideas. I love them with a little Dijon mustard.)

I came out an hour or so later, a faint mustard-colored spot on the front of my tee shirt, and deleted the whole post. 

Because sometimes that's just the right thing to do. Like everyone else, I have opinions, and I'm lucky enough that here on this blog, I also have a platform on which to present them. Occasionally, though, stating opinions crosses a line into pontification (another great word--I love words!) and the writer gets to believing what she says is more important than it is. I crossed that line and I then crossed it all out. You're welcome.  

I hope you've had a wonderful week. That you've enjoyed the beautiful colors of autumn and the warm days that have slipped in as an extra little something from October. 

Mary Morgan
Since I have virtually nothing new to say today, here is a cookie recipe I stole borrowed from Mary Morgan. I haven't made them yet, but I've been salivating ever since I read it. 
Apple Spice Cookies

Ingredients

3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
½ cup of nuts (your preference and optional)
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened

 2 eggs

 1 cup brown sugar

½ cup molasses
¼ cup apple cider or apple juice

Directions

1. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and nuts, if using.

2. In a mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Add eggs and beat until combined.

3. Beat in the molasses and apple cider.

4. Stir in the flour mixture until smooth.

5. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for 1-2 hours.

6. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

7. Place parchment paper on two baking pans.

8. Drop one heaping tablespoon of dough onto the baking pans.

9. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove onto wire racks to cool.

Makes approximately 35 cookies.

I sincerely love cookies. They are just one of the most satisfying things in the world. Actually, they are synonymous with grandchildren. They're sweet, with rich flavors and differences. They always make you feel better, but time with them goes so fast. You're left with an empty plate and memories of just the best times--as well as the hope of having more soon.

Have a great week. It is the time of year of great music, delicious fundraiser dinners for local causes, orchard visits, and craft shows (Nancy Masten and I'll be at the fairgrounds on November 4 from 9 to 3--I hope to see you there.) Get out and about if you're able--friends and neighbors are wonderful gifts. Not quite as good as grandkids, but you get my drift. 

Be nice to somebody.















17 comments:

  1. You're 100% correct. Sometimes the best thing to do is press the delete button.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually realize it a bit too late to save me. Sigh. Thanks, Nancy!

      Delete
  2. Those cookies do sound good! And yeah, sometimes, it's better to just...not...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, I had the same issue a couple weeks ago. Liz. I kept trying so hard and my mind kept telling me to "walk away!"" I'm honored you shared my recipe, Liz! Thank YOU! Have a lovely weekend and week ahead. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You, too. As for me, I'm gonna be making cookies! Thanks again, Mary.

      Delete
  4. I tried to sign in with my Google account. Failed. But I so understand how easy it is to write a blog that you later delete. Everyone has opinions, but we don't always agree. And that's good. I love cookies! Now, those just make people happy. (Judi Lynn)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Judi. Blogger gets weirder and weirder, I swear! Thanks for coming by.

      Delete
  5. Enjoy the cookies! What is the saying? Discretion is the better part of valor?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. And sometimes you just have to look at what you wrote and acknowledge it's not very good. Another ouch!

      Delete
  6. I'm with ya halfway today. Cookies are my favorite food ever, but the delete key scares me. I'm always afraid that if I take something out, I'll want it back some other day. I'm an editor, though, so I delete all the time; I just make sure I do it with Track Changes turned on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seldom delete permanently, either, but this was one of those times. Sometimes 'tis nobler... :-)

      Delete
  7. Help! We're trying to make the cookies, but for some reason, the number of eggs is not in the recipe here. Can you tell me?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven’t made them yet! Let me see if I can find out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Attention: Two eggs have been added to the recipe! I'm so sorry for the omission!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's OK! I didn't notice either, until after I had measured other ingredients and started to mix! Since the instructions stated "eggs," we started by adding 2, but the dough was really stiff, so we added a 3rd. Will let you know how they turn out.

      Delete
  10. They turned out well (with 3 eggs), although they did spread a lot.

    ReplyDelete