Saturday, April 15, 2023

Jumper Cables and Blue Butterflies by Liz Flaherty

Friday

I haven't had a very good week. Nothing wrong, exactly, just some upheaval, a decision I didn't want to make, and a sad anniversary. We all have weeks like this, don't we? They're when we cry in the shower, forget anything's cooking until the smoke alarm goes off, and stub our toes on...nothing. The floor can be as flat as a griddle and it will still trip you up! You've read about my broken nose, but...yeah, that's how it happened. 

So, today I got my nails done. My neighbor, Bev, was in there at the same time. It was just a regular day at the Nail Studio, with Bev getting a pedicure and me getting pretty pink gel on my fingernails with a blue butterfly on my ring finger. Of course, things went awry when Bev put her sock on before Gina was ready for her to--so Gina threw the sock at her. 

It must be said here that the only reason I told this story was because Bev said to watch out because it might show up in the next column. I may have said I wouldn't do that, but I don't remember. I need to add, too, that Julie, who does my nails, has never thrown anything at me. 

Maybe saying never isn't the right thing to do here...

The point of this is that it was a good laugh on a day when I needed one in the worst way. Thank you, Gina, Julie, and Bev.

Saturday

So last night, after a delicious dinner at Club 14--try the grouper; it's great--we went to Kroger's. I needed ice cream and Duane needed yellow cheese. We discussed as we went across town whether it was Kroger or Kroger's and even though I think he's right in calling it Kroger, I still say Kroger's. Or on days when I feel slightly ridiculous, I'll sing, ๐ŸŽLet's go Krogering...๐ŸŽeven though I shouldn't. Or I mumble "cut your costs at Kroger" as I push the cart into the store. I'm sure I'm not the only one who does this. Well, maybe...

Anyway, Duane waited while I went into the store. When I came out, he said, "It won't start."

My first thought was, "Don't tell me it won't start. I have ice cream here." My second was that I wished I'd bought a spoon. We've had Duane's car for ten years. We've never bought a battery for it, but I think if it was going to give up the ghost, it could have done it when I didn't have a carton of butter pecan in the cart. 

We didn't have jumper cables. We had a discussion about where they were. We still don't know--they might still be riding around in the 1995 pickup he traded on his car. Several people offered us a jump, but they didn't have jumper cables, either. Duane called our daughter, who also didn't have any, but she brought a battery charger thingy from a friend--he didn't have cables, either. 

It couldn't give the car enough juice to do more than play the radio and open the windows. (Which would have been enough when we were sitting at the Kar Hop back in the 60s, but I'm regressing today, aren't I?) We really, really needed jumper cables. And a battery.

One daughter and a couple of hundred dollars later, we had them. There was much laughing involved, and Duane and I talked on the way home about what we'd have done in our young married days if we'd had to spend a couple of hundred dollars we didn't expect. 

We'd still be sitting in Kroger's parking lot with melting ice cream bought on sale. 

We got home--much later than expected. My ice cream was pretty soft but still really good. I was reminded by the day's adventures of how grateful we are for friends, family, ice cream, and Kroger's. Of laughing at the Nail Studio, of neighbors, and of church family who will always be family despite changes. 

It was still a crummy week. But there have been pretty days. Good food. More laughing than crying. Conversations with daughters and other friends. I used the quote from a favorite song yesterday, no turning back, and reaching that place in situations hurts. Loss almost always does. But, always, before the loss came the love. I'm grateful.

I hope you have a good week. Carry jumper cables. Be nice to somebody. 




13 comments:

  1. Glad your ice cream didn't totally melt, Liz! I hope next week isn't quite so crummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your columns! We need to do lunch sometime, it’s been way too long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Sounds good; however, you need to tell me who "Anonymous" is! Blogger keeps secrets!

      Delete
  3. We re just a couple blocks away, we have jumper cables….and spoons!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You continue to absolutely amuse me, Liz. Your posts always make me smile. Know that. Know that you make a positive difference in people's lives, which is especially important on their own sock-throwing-ice cream-melting-no battery-cable days. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can see the whole scene you paint so well. It's nice at least to be the point in your life where you can deal with a large unexpected expense without having your ice cream melt...too much. Wishing you a better week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice, but I don't think it hurts to be reminded of just how fortunate we are. :-) One thing that is funny about it is knowing how hard my sister would be laughing a the whole week! She's been gone a year this past week, which was part of the roughness of the week.

      Delete
  6. I love "before the loss came the love." That's how I try to face loss, to be grateful for the time we had together, but I've never heard it expressed quite that way! Thanks for sharing yourself and your gifts with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you, Mary. It's important to remember, isn't it?

      Delete
  7. You do angst and humor so well together. Sorry about your nose, but love your nails. And glad your ice cream was still good. I tried to sign in with google but something went awry--J Post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Judi. It's HARD to identify yourself on Blogger, isn't it? I was on my phone and couldn't get my name to come up on my own blog!

      Delete