Saturday, March 4, 2023

Earworms and Pretoria by Liz Flaherty

Have you ever given thought to how an earworm gets created? I know, you hear something and it won't go away, but sometimes it has an identifiable process. Stick with me here. Not because I know what I'm talking about but because I depend on you to say, "Yeah, like that..."

I've been working on this post the past few days, writing the prologue up there so you can be thinking about who next week's business should be. Trying to think of something to write that's...you know, interesting. And I realized February had passed. 

It's already March. March first, as a matter of fact, when I'm writing this. This is the day I look forward to all the way through January and February--not wishing my life away, just thinking about things being green and smelling good and lady bugs taking over my office. 

March.


March has some joys for me. One of my brothers' birthdays was in March. One daughter-in-law and two grandkids were born in March. The grands' birthdays are three days apart and I have to look up which day is Tierney's and which one is Fionnegan's because I can never remember. This is part of the aging process, of time marching on. 

Marching...

Fionn plays trumpet and has played it in marching band from time to time. Years ago, one of my brothers played the base drum in the marching band at Gilead. I don't remember Tom doing that, but there were pictures of him...

Marching...


I was thinking, apropos (isn't that a cool word? I love having the chance to use it) of nothing, of the town of Peoria, Indiana, and recalling that Peoria Church and Peoria Cemetery had been moved when the dam was built. I think. It's a pretty church. 

Peoria. 

Years ago, on the Smothers Brothers Show, they sang a song about Peoria. 

Peoria?

Or Pretoria? 

We are marching to Pretoria...Pretoria...Pretoria...we are marching to Pretoria. Pretoria today...

The words aren't exactly right (I looked them up, too), but there you have the creation of an earworm. Right or not, I have sung them--even a few times aloud--over and over this morning. All because I'm writing this on the first of March. Which came in like a lamb, thank you very much. 

A lamb. A lion.

In the jungle, the mighty jungle, the lion sleeps tonight...

Have a great week. Be nice to somebody. 


I haven't done this in a while, and I don't really know why I stopped--because it was fun. I'd like to do a business of the week. I will start with ones I use a lot--or wish I did. If you own a business, run one, or have one you'd like me to spotlight, leave me a message. We'll see how it works out! The first post is from Cathy Zehring--thanks for being here, Cathy! I hope you'll spread the word. Feel free to PM me or email me at lizkflaherty @ gmail.com (no spaces) with suggestions or requests. Thank you!



Cathy Zehring's in the beauty business. She loves helping other women feel good about themselves.

Catch up with her at https://www.facebook.com/groups/1008324986190495/?ref=share_group_link to find out all about Cathy's Box of Beauty. 


4 comments:

  1. I love your wit and your way of expressing yourself, Liz. What a writer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thanks, Janie--that's so great coming from someone whose voice I love as much as I do yours.

      Delete
  2. These stream-of-consciousness post make me unreasonably happy because they are very much like one of our own conversations! Miss you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah, you don't. You're in Hawaii! But, yes, we do have conversations a lot like that, don't we? Cupcakes...

      Delete