Saturday, September 4, 2021

About the time change...and other things

 

There is little I like less than the biannual time change. It takes me two weeks to get used to it and a good deal longer than that to stop complaining about it. I have asked many times over the years for legitimate documentation that demonstrates that the change is good for the majority. Or that the majority wants the time change. I have pleaded with lawmakers to explain its reasoning and to at least take some kind of poll to see how their constituency feels about having their lives upended by a tyrannical clock twice a year.

No documentation has been forthcoming. Ever. If lawmakers do bother answering my requests, it is with form replies that appear to address a multitude of possible situations that have never affected any Hoosier in the 200-plus years of our statehood. None of which have anything to do with changing time.

Since the time change isn’t scheduled until November, you may wonder why I’m starting my complaints so early. Do I really intend to keep going on about this until Thanksgiving, when my mind turns to more important things like food and family? Did I just hear mumbles of Get over it already! wafting through cyberspace?

Well, maybe, but I’m talking about it now because of how the sky looked when I came out to my office at six-something this morning. It was so beautiful I stopped in the driveway with the cats and just enjoyed it. Watching the changes that had nothing to do with legislation and taking a picture that isn’t a hundredth as good as the real thing was.

Now I’m at the point—perhaps you recognize it, since it happens almost every week—where I realize I don’t know where I’m going with this.

I think I’ll go this way.

Although the lawmakers have seen fit to legislate the clock, they haven’t yet found a way to shut down or charge for the ongoing and ever-changing beauty of the sky. I’m fairly certain they’ll find a way to tax it or perhaps put a bounty on people who’ve watched too many sunrises and sunsets to suit them, but we’re not there yet.

I’d just about bet it ticks them off that even though they’re able to make six o’clock into five o’clock come November, they can’t make the sky change its stripes accordingly. The days will still have only 24 hours in them and just as many of those hours will be dark as before.

Think about it. Government can mandate how we set our clocks and what women do with their bodies, but they won’t insist people wear masks as a safety measure. They permit all kinds of chemicals and endless fossil fuel emissions to permeate the air we all breathe, but understate the importance of a vaccine.

At the same time, they’ll encourage the use of an unapproved mostly-for-animals medication. Not just for themselves, which would be fine with me, but for others who will take their medical advice because they almost certainly know more than medical personnel and other scientists, don’t they?

Sometimes I wish they’d just leave things alone when they don’t know what they’re talking about, don’t you?

And while they’re at it, getting rid of the time change would be nice, too.

Have a great week. Stay safe. Be nice to somebody.  

6 comments:

  1. I am still waiting to see all the money they said business owners would enjoy because commerce would be so much better. I am still waiting for them to read research papers on how our own natural rhythms sync with the earth and are very in tune with the rise and fall of the sun and moon. I am still waiting for them to realize we are TWO hours ahead of the sun and that daylight savings time was a war thing and we are done with that. Geesh! Why don't "they" just ask us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good questions, Connie, but you're "just a teacher"; what do you know, right? Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  2. I do agree... except maybe about DST. For some reason, that's neve bothered me all that much and I don't know why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't care at all which time we're on, but the change bothers me a lot and always has--even when I was a kid in school before Indiana stepped off the wheel and left time alone for a long time. Fifty minutes on a school bus is...50 minutes on a school bus, no matter how often they play with the clock.

      Delete
  3. I'm old enough to remember when the "line" for the time change was the Indiana/Ohio border. Most of Indiana was on Central Standard Time/"Chicago time" then. I grew up in Louisville, with many relatives in Indiana. We had to deal with the time change whenever we went to visit them - and SURVIVED! And, as to your other topics: PREACH!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. We survived it, too, but I'd still love to see it end!

      Delete